[News] Availability of Source Code (Free Software) Makes Better Software

  • Subject: [News] Availability of Source Code (Free Software) Makes Better Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 03:20:37 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Flexibility of Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the things that has been a strong point of Open Source Software (OSS)
| for years, even if it hasn't been held at the forefront of the battle, is the
| flexibility that OSS offers. This is something I think needs to be said more
| these days as our world becomes ever more dynamic, requiring software to be
| ever more flexible in order to keep up with our ever changing lives.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=356

Related to this:

How to Create a Highly Successful Open Source Project

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ve been making public releases of Unworkable, a simple and efficient
| from-scratch BitTorrent implementation written in C for a couple of months
| now. Prior to that, I had been working on it for about 18 months on and off.
| While I wouldn’t claim it to be highly successful at this early point, I make
| an effort to try to manage the project well, and I intend to write about some
| of my ideas and the things I have learned along the way.
`----

http://niallohiggins.com/2007/12/25/how-to-create-a-highly-successful-open-source-project/

Recent:

There is value in source code, whether you want it or not

,----[ Quote ]
| A common question you hear from proprietary vendors when dismissing open
| source alternatives is “how many customers actually want access to the code
| anyway?” It is a question I put to an open source software vendor myself
| earlier this week while playing devil’s advocate.
|
| [...]
|
| Some of the former supporters were acquired, some fizzled out, and some lost
| interest. No doubt the same things will happen to come of the current
| supporters over time, while new supporters will emerge. Thanks to the code
| being open, the PostgreSQL project will carry on regardless.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/12/20/there-is-value-in-source-code-whether-you-want-it-or-not/

My Christmas wish: more open source for everyone (and an ultralight Macbook for
me)

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/programming-and-development/?p=579