[News] Entry Barrier to Linux Programming Lowered Significantly

  • Subject: [News] Entry Barrier to Linux Programming Lowered Significantly
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 00:55:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Learn OOP while creating 3-D animations with Alice

,----[ Quote ]
| College computer science students often find it difficult to get started in
| programming languages like C++ and Java, largley due to the disconnect
| between simple middle-school languages like logo and advanced object-oriented
| programming (OOP) languages. To help bridge the gap, researchers at Carnegie
| Mellon University (CMU) have developed an OOP language to create computer
| animations using 3-D models, called Alice.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/123342

Gambas, Visual Basic for linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The first computer language I learnt was BASIC. I taught myself using the
| examples on my first computer, a VTech(can't remember the exact model). I
| remember thinking how easy it was to learn and use, I wrote my first program
| after about a week, and it was to solve equations for my maths and physics
| school homework. Even though I later learnt C and a little bit of python I
| still used visual basic whenever I needed to make something really quickly.
| However, after I ditched windows for ubuntu I started looking for something
| to fill the gap, that's when I stumbled upon Gambas.
`----

http://mopedia.blogspot.com/2007/12/gambas-visual-basic-for-linux.html

Related:

Why are we bringing VB to Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Projects are appearing that attempt to bring Visual Basic clones to
| Linux. Marc Boorshtein, a former VB programmer, thinks this is am
| istake, and that we should be innovating with what we already have
| instead of spending time working at emulating what he considers
| a technological dead end.
`----

http://www.webdotdev.com/nvd/server-side/visual-basic/why-are-we-bringing-vb-to-linux.html

Developers Embrace Java, Drop Visual Basic

,----[ Quote ]
| Use of Visual Basic has dropped 35% since the spring, says a
| poll of more than 430 North American developers done by research
| company Evans Data.
|
| [...]
|
| Developers have abandoned Microsoft's Visual Basic in droves
| during the last six months, and they're using Java more than any
| other development language, according to a recently published
| survey.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=196600515

Study: Developers Favor Linux