Re: WHS can't handle NTFS alt data streams

Linonut wrote:

> Another good reason to use Linux instead for your home server:

http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2007/12/22/serious-windows-home-server-concerns.aspx

It's just a dedicated Microsoft file server, corrupting files made with
Microsoft products. Nothing new there, just the usual crapware we've come
to expect and loathe from Redmond.

And the idiots who buy this rubbish seem to be Microbrainwashed to take this
kind of quality (or the lack thereof) for granted; nowhere is this
demonstrated better than in mr. Thurrot's own words:

 "The HP has had a troubling number of hard drive corruption issues.
  Occasionally, I will logon to Vista in the morning, see a red WHS icon and
  click it to discover that something's wrong with a hard disk. WHS lets you
  repair these problems, and it takes a long time but always seems to work."

Huh? It "always seems to work"? Does he really say that he continued using
this machine after the first time this happened?

 "I don't have any offsite backup so this is troubling."

Just "troubling"? I'd call it "Playing Russian Roulette with vital data".

 "I am experimenting with backing up to my old Firewire 800-based
  BiggerDisks over the network, but it's slow,"

Ah yes. Save a bit of money and keep on playing while you hear the gun
go "click".

 "and if the WHS-based data is corrupted, I'm screwed anyway."

You say it!

 "I'm not sure if it's my router or my home server, but three times now I've
  gotten an alert that the remote access feature had stopped working. Just
  navigating to the Remote Access tab of the Settings dialog triggers a
  re-configuration, and that does work each time."

Ah yes, the wonderful Windows way to "fix" problems: just keep on using the
crap, and rely on automatic recovery tools to keep your precious data
intact, even though you fully realize you're screwed when this latter fails
for whatever reason. And oh, remote access drops dead occasionally, but
that's also easily "fixed" with "navigating to the Remote Access tab of the
Settings dialog" to trigger a re-configuration. Sheesh.

If I have similar problems with a Linux server (and yes, I have had those,
because of bad hardware, and on one occasion a screw-up by yours truly),
the very first thing that happens is to drop the faulty machine out of
normal operation ASAP, and put in a new one. Then I try to get to the
bottom of why the first machine failed. One thing a sane IT professional
should never, ever, do, is keep limping along with unreliable crapware.
Yet this man, fully aware of the risks ("But this is scary. Really scary."),
seems to hang in there.

If he were smart, he would return this Microsoft crap for a refund. Then go
out and buy a $300 barebone PC, slap Debian plus a few server packages on
the HD, and presto: he'd have a real server with a real OS. One that
doesn't corrupt data, and runs rings around anything Microsoft has excreted
so far.

Richard Rasker
--
http://www.linetec.nl/