Re: [News] [Rival] Example of Massive Corporate Exodus Away from Windows Vista

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Microsoft pushes customers to pay for unusable DRAM !
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Until I had do downgrade some 40 Vista laptops in my company I didn't
> | believe it is possible.
> | The reason? They were so slow and so unreliable, the downgrade was the
> | only choice. HP representative informed us that 1GB of DRAM those
> | lapotops had installed, is not recommended Vista's MINIMUM memory size.
> | Their proposed solution? 4GB of DRAM upgrade and Vista SP1. Then, many
> | things will go faster and better.

Batteries are toast if you fit that amount of RAM on a laptop.
(Linux - 256Mb for most distros is enough.
Its an overkill for distros like lightening speed DSL. )

> `----
>
> http:/
badhardware.blogspot.com/2007_12_01_archive.html#1683817011001966289

> Related:
>
> Prediction: Linux will Eat Microsoft on Most Desktops
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Now, compare that to a $500.00 desktop running Linux and OpenSource
> | applicaitons. That would be about $50,000. The difference? Two or three
> | employees, a huge bonus, a couple of vehicles, whatever. Not small.
> `----
>
> http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2007/12
prediction_linux_will_eat_micr.php

> Microsoft's Big Problem in a Small Box
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Vista is a big operating system that demands monster graphics and
> | dual-core processors. But what if the market pines for a whole lot less?
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | The mass move to mobile computing is a destabilizing force and harbinger
> | of change. Microsoft's position would be better if Vista didn't demand
> | so much when the market wants so little.
> `----
>
> http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/desktop_mobile
microsofts_big_problem_in_a_small_box.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
> http://tinyurl.com/2sg6xy
>

> Linux is about to take over the low end of PCs
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Opinion -- Sometimes, several unrelated changes come to a head at the
> | same time, with a result no one could have predicted. The PC market is
> | at such a tipping point right now and the result will be millions of
> | Linux-powered PCs in users' hands.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | Microsoft will fight this trend tooth and nail. It will cut prices to
> | the point where it'll be bleeding ink on some of its product lines. And
> | Windows XP is going to stick around much longer than Microsoft ever
> | wanted it to. Still, it won't be enough. By attacking from the bottom,
> | where Microsoft can no longer successfully compete, Linux will finally
> | cut itself a large slice of the desktop market pie.
> `----
>
> http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2414535067.html
>

> Windows Vista: Sold but not deployed
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft says it remains happy with enterprise sales of Vista --
> | however, the software behemoth acknowledges that many businesses which
> | have bought Vista licences are yet to deploy the software.
> `----
>
> http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa
Windows-Vista-Sold-but-not-deployed/0,130061733,339284495,00.htm

> Acer: PC industry 'disappointed' with Vista

> | Acer president Gianfranco Lanci became the first major PC manufacturer
> | to openly attack Microsoft over the Windows Vista operating system in
> | the Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.
> |
> | Lanci said the operating system was riddled with problems and gave users
> | and businesses no reason to buy a new PC, according to the report.
> | Taiwan-based Acer is the world's fourth-largest PC manufacturer, after
> | HP, Dell and Lenovo.
> |
> | "The whole industry is disappointed with Windows Vista," Lanci said.
> `----
>
> http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=9579
>

> Ugly view mars Windows Vista birthday
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | According to latest data from NPD, Microsoft is shipping fewer boxed
> | copies of Windows Vista than it did Windows XP at the same point in the
> | operating systems' lifecycles.
> `----
>
> http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/11/30/vista_birthday/
>

> The Vista Death Watch
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft has extended the life of Windows XP because Vista has simply
> | not shown any life in the market. We have to begin to ask ourselves if
> | we are really looking at Windows Me/2007, destined to be a disdained
> | flop. By all estimates the number of Vista installations hovers around
> | the number of Macs in use.
> |
> | How did this happen? And what?s going to happen next? Does Microsoft
> | have a Plan B? A number of possibilities come to mind, and these things
> | must be considered by the company itself.
> `----
>
> http://www.pcmag.com
article2/0,2704,2209837,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03079TX1K0000584

> Lenovo offers downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | My colleague Stian just sent me this interesting link regarding my
> | experiences with Windows Vista. Since I assume the link will NOT have
> | the visual appearence it has right now for very many more hours (days)
> | I've created a screenshot of how it looked when I went into the site.
> `----
>
> http://jaxed.org
lenovo-offers-downgrade-from-windows-vista-to-windows-xp.blog