[News] Open Source That's Not Really Open Source Gaining Attraction

  • Subject: [News] Open Source That's Not Really Open Source Gaining Attraction
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 04:30:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Year Ahead in B.I.: Operational Business Intelligence, Open-Source Tools
and More

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're leading a BI effort, what trends in this category should be on your
| radar screen for 2008? Operational BI, open-source tools and attention to
| unstructured data should rank prominently.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/167450/The_Year_Ahead_in_B.I._Operational_Business_Intelligence_Open_Source_Tools_and_More_
http://tinyurl.com/2rmjcb

Open-Source Model to Challenge WebEx Online Meetings Gains Steam

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source, Web 2.0 collaboration is coming to tax return filers in 2008.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/167102

Apache Shindig: where does the portal end and the social application start?

,----[ Quote ]
| Shindig could end up as the open source reference implementation for
| OpenSocial, but it is still very early days. Jetspeed has certainly not been
| as universally adopted as the famous Apache webserver. As an open source
| adherent, you should not assume a coordinated master plan among Apache
| projects and definitely not count automatic universal adoption for any tool
| that has the Apache moniker.
`----

http://www.cmswatch.com/Trends/1103-Apache-Shindig:-where-does-the-portal-end-and-the-social-application-start

Related:

TrueCrypt License violation

,----[ Quote ]
| I have come across a commercial product that appears to use truecrypt
| without disclosing this information, or making source code available.
| The software in question is available at mightykey.com from a company
| called atomynet, and a free trial can be downloaded.
`----

http://forums.truecrypt.org/viewtopic.php?t=4708

Using open source as a marketing ploy

,----[ Quote ]
| This is typical trend riding fluff. If you go the Aras website you
| read about "Microsoft Enterprise Open Source Solutions", which is
| comical in and of itself.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/01/more_open_sourc.html

Soft sell for open source apps

,----[ Quote ]
| When vendors aren't counting licenses, they're free to concentrate on
| quality code
|
| [...]
|
| Schroer says there's no contradiction between open source and the
| Microsoft software ecosystem. "Microsoft has a particular business
| model that works for them. But around that they're encouraging open
| source development," he explains.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/01/15/03OPopenent_1.html

A New Evangelist for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| When I first heard about this? let's call it "rumor," I have to admit
| that I was rather shocked at the very prospect of Microsoft wanting
| to bring on an "open source" evangelist into their ranks.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2432&Itemid=449

Open source lobby fury over Office format fast-track

,----[ Quote ]
| The duo claim the process means Europe is being 'railroaded
| into accepting an 'inadequate' standard.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/102898/open-source-lobby-fury-over-office-format-fasttrack.html
http://tinyurl.com/37vouh

Perspective: Microsoft's amusing standards stance

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.com.com/2010-1013_3-6161285.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news