[News] [SOT] When All Sharing is Sharing of Information/Code is Assumed 'Criminal'...

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] When All Sharing is Sharing of Information/Code is Assumed 'Criminal'...
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 21:55:59 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Generational Divide in Copyright Morality

,----[ Quote ]
| The program’s existence had triggered an online controversy about the pros,
| cons and implications of copy protection. But to me, there wasn’t much gray
| area. “To me, it’s obvious that PyMusique is designed to facilitate illegal
| song-swapping online,” I wrote. And therefore, it’s wrong to use it.
`----

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/20/the-generational-divide-in-copyright-morality/

Related:

Mark Cuban to ISPs: block all P2P traffic; Ars to Cuban: um, no

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, there are many legitimate uses for P2P that Google Video can't
| replace, like distributing Linux ISOs. Furthermore, the notion that the only
|          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| people who benefit from P2P technology are the distributors is wrong. If I
| have the option of grabbing a download from a distant single server or from a
| torrent with hundreds of users, I'm going to opt for the torrent. Why? It's
| almost guaranteed to be faster, and let's face it: most BitTorrent software
| is quite adept at managing large downloads. Perhaps I want to throttle it
| while playing a game; perhaps I want to encrypt my transfers. If I'm
| distributing video or audio, perhaps I don't wish to be bound by the terms of
| Google Video.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071122-mark-cuban-to-isps-block-all-p2p-traffic.html

Consumer groups want Comcast fined for thwarting the Bible

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of consumer groups are petitioning the FCC to fine Comcast $195,000
| for every customer affected by their BitTorrent-throttling practices. The FCC
| has said in the past that service providers can't "block" customers from
| using certain applications or websites, but it hasn't enforced that policy.
`----

http://valleywag.com/tech/politics/consumer-groups-want-comcast-fined-for-thwarting-the-bible-317960.php

More examples of the power of torrents in **FIGHTING CRIME**:

MS dirty tricks archive trickles back to life

,----[ Quote ]
| The 3,000 document archive from the Comes antitrust trial, which
| disappeared from the web abruptly when Microsoft settled the case last
| week, is beginning to trickle back into view.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/21/microsoft_archive_not_lost/

The 1998 Bill Gates Deposition Video -- It's Baaack!

,----[ Quote ]