[News] $15M Linux Upgrade for Military Ground Control Stations

  • Subject: [News] $15M Linux Upgrade for Military Ground Control Stations
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 05:41:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
U.S. Department of Defense

,----[ Quote ]
| This action provides for advanced cockpit one production effort includes
| production and integration of Linux hardware for Predator/Reaper ground
| control stations. At this time all funds have been obligated. HQ AFMC,
| Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio is the contracting activity
| (F8620-05-G-3028-Order 0025).
|
| McDonnell Douglas Corp., of Saint Louis, Mo., is being awarded a contract
| modification for $14,759,087.
`----

http://www.defenselink.mil/contracts/contract.aspx?contractid=3673

They do this quietly, but they seem to prefer Linux. Windows has given them a
lot of trouble recently, which damanged their reputation.

Yesterday:

Apples For The Army

,----[ Quote ]
| By Wallington's estimate, around 20,000 of the Army's 700,000 or so desktops
| and servers are Apple-made. He estimates that about a thousand Macs enter the
| Army's ranks during each of its bi-annual hardware buying periods.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/home/technology/2007/12/20/apple-army-hackers-tech-security-cx_ag_1221army.html

Related:

Mil-spec computer resists heat, runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Quantum3D has announced a rugged, battery-operable computer aimed at
| video-intensive military applications. The Thermite TVC 3.0 runs Linux,
| according to the company, and features Core 2 Solo or Duo processors and a
| variety of video capture and graphics options.

Defense Information Systems Agency's Wi-Fi Flying Squirrel

,----[ Quote ]
| The software, this source said, owes a lot to open source Wi-Fi sniffing
| tools such as NetStumbler or Kismet, but has a somewhat snazzier interface
| and the all important U.S. Strategic Command steering group?s stamp of
| approval.
`----

http://blogs.govexec.com/techinsider/archives/2007/05/disas_wifi_flying_squirrel.html

Too late to discredit open source, advocates say

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's too late," exclaimed Winston Damarillo, founder and
| chairman of software development firm Exist Global, in an
| interview with Computerworld Philippines. "Open source
| is all over the place."
|
| [...]
|
| Anson Uy, president of Touch Solutions (a Red Hat Linux company),
| earlier on broke the news to Computerworld Philippines about the
| alleged "funded missions" by some software firms to discredit open
| source, although he did not identify any company.
|
| Anson revealed among the top three actions against FOSS are being
| done through "sponsored studies, piracy of open source developers,
| and bold press releases."
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/030607-too-late-to-discredit-open.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news
http://tinyurl.com/2bj969

DOD Awards Contracts Worth Up to $700M

,----[ Quote ]
| Palo Alto, Calif.-based printer and personal computer
| maker HP was awarded two separate deals worth up to
| $440 million over eight years that cover the HP-UX,
| Microsoft Windows, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and
| Novell SUSE Linux operating systems.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/061018/disa_contracts.html?.v=2

Defense kicks off open-source encryption program

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/43425-1.html

,----[ Quote ]
| "After a long and arduous journey that included a suspended validation last
| year .. OpenSSL has regained its FIPS 140-2 validation"
|
| "We called it the FUD campaign," he says. "There were all kinds of
| complaints sent to the CMVP including one about 'Commie code.' .. Silly or
| no, each complaint that's filed really slows down the process."
|
| "the ones they did see often contained redacted, or blacked-out, data about
| who had filed the complaint .. in some cases, proprietary software vendors
| were lodging the complaints.

Navy CIO 'recognizes the importance of OSS to the warfighter'

,----[ Quote ]
| John Weathersby, executive director of the Open Source Software
| Institute, told Linux.com today that, effective immediately, the
| Department of the Navy has adopted a new policy which requires that
| open source software must be considered in every software
| acquisition the Navy makes.

State Department got mail and hackers

,----[ Quote ]
| A break-in targeting State Department computers worldwide last
| summer occurred after a department employee in Asia opened a
| mysterious e-mail that quietly allowed hackers inside the U.S.
| government's network.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070419/ap_on_hi_te/hackers_state_department

The feds weigh in on Windows security