[News] Even Xubuntu Beats the Best of Microsoft's Operating Systems

  • Subject: [News] Even Xubuntu Beats the Best of Microsoft's Operating Systems
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 05:28:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Windows vs Linux - The Battle of the Operating Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry Windows!
|
| This Linux distro (distribution) has so far kicked you in the rear!
|
| In two days, I have gotten Xubuntu to do everything that you can do and do it
| better.
| All the apps that you have - Xubuntu has them too!
| If I want to find an app I don't have to go hunting through the Internet to
| find a suitable free/trial version to install/uninstall.
|
| Xubuntu and its brothers Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Edubuntu are so easy to use that I
| installed it on my 6 year olds laptop (yes, I got him one for Christmas) and
| even he has no problems with it. I wish he'd spend more time with the
| learning tools, but it's Christmas break and I figure he can go and install
| and play games as much as he likes! For now.
|
| Eat that Windoze. My 6 year old is configuring his own laptop! Now if I can
| only get him to clean his room....
`----

http://www.squidoo.com/winvslin

Related:

Xubuntu 7.10 (gutsy gibbon) Screenshots Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| Xubuntu is a complete GNU/Linux based operating system with an Ubuntu base.
| It is lighter on system requirements and tends to be more efficient than
| Ubuntu with GNOME or KDE, since it uses the Xfce Desktop environment, which
| makes it ideal for old or low-end machines, thin-client networks, or for
| those who would like to get more performance out of their hardware.
`----

http://www.debianadmin.com/xubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon-screenshots-tour.html

ReviewLinux.Com: Xubuntu 7.10 RC

,----[ Quote ]
| Xubuntu is a lightweight Linux OS based on Ubuntu. Version 7.10 is just
| around the corner and today at ReviewLinux.Com we are taking a quick look at
| the first release candidate of Xubuntu 7.10. Some images of the Xfce desktop
| as well as a short flash video of it in action.
`----

http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=7643

Xubuntu Gutsy Tribe 5 -- first impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| I downloaded and burned the Xubuntu Gutsy Tribe 5 live CD and loaded it up. I
| realize that this is beta and not all the bugs are worked out, and with that
| criterion, things are working very well. But I'm left wondering "Why?"
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/08/xubuntu_gutsy_herd_5_first_imp.html

Xubuntu 7.04(Feisty Fawn) Screenshots Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| Xubuntu is a complete GNU/Linux based operating system with an
| Ubuntu base. It is lighter on system requirements and tends to
| be more efficient than Ubuntu with GNOME or KDE, since it uses
| the Xfce Desktop environment, which makes it ideal for old or
| low-end machines, thin-client networks, or for those who would
| like to get more performance out of their hardware.
`----

http://www.debianadmin.com/xubuntu-704feisty-fawn-screenshots-tour.html

My first Linux experience: Overwhelmingly positive.

,----[ Quote ]
| I am totally satisfied with my Linux experience to this point.
| What these computers lack in power, they make up for in simplicity
| and ease of use. None has crashed, either. It seems to me that
| Linux is a viable solution for any educator with old, seemingly
| useless computers, and administrators shackled down by exorbitant
| licensing costs of running OS X or Windows on dozens or hundreds
| of machines ought to consider it as an alternative.
`----

http://scooterdman.newsvine.com/_news/2007/02/13/566477-my-first-linux-experience-overwhelmingly-positive
http://tinyurl.com/2mv5mm

Xubuntu offers appealing desktop alternative

,----[ Quote ]
| After spending a few days with Xubuntu I am pretty much hooked. I
| miss some of the flashier features of Gnome which I had become used
| to in Ubuntu but when I take into account the speed increases I have
| gained by switching to Xubuntu it is well worth it. A stock standard
| Xubuntu desktop is clean and neat and encourages me to keep it that
| way. I have had to install a few additional essential applications
| that I have come to rely on but with a base as light as Xubuntu
| this ought not to be a problem.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1360

Putting an old laptop to good use with Xubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| The story would be complete here. Old hardware, modern Linux, no money
| spent. Isn't that what its all about? But there is more. I had a server
| that was built out of spare parts that had at one time been used for
| testing a new web server control panel. The testing was long over and
| I had reconfigured the machine to act as a small file server for me.
| I had gone as far as setting up a restricted access website for the
| file server, allowing me to get files via http as well as FTP. The
| power draw was around 85 watts on the box, which sat in a 2U case.
| The laptop only drew about 30 watts.
`----

http://corneliusroot.blogspot.com/2007/01/putting-old-laptop-to-good-use-with.html

Once I had everything I like installed and configured I've found Xubuntu

,----[ Conclusion ]
| Once I had everything I like installed and configured I've found Xubuntu
| to be truly a pleasure to use. It's user friendly for the newcomer and
| highly customizable for the experienced user. The basic application set
| on the single CD is, as expected, limited but I'd rather build up a
| distro with what I need and exclude what I don't need than try to remove
| cruft. Performance is the best I've seen in any current distro. Most of
| my complaints are nitpicking and in general Xubuntu Edgy Eft is as good
| as any Linux distribution I've used so far. Highly recommended.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2006/12/xubuntu_gets_edgy.html

Review: Xubuntu Gets Edgy

,----[ Conclusion ]