[News] [Rival] Apple Files Anti-Consumer Patents, McAfee's Fraud Settled

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Apple Files Anti-Consumer Patents, McAfee's Fraud Settled
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:54:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Apple Applies For Automatic Shutdown and Piracy-Fighting Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| The US Patent Office has revealed a number of recent patent filings by Apple.
|
| [...]
|
| Apple has thus-far resisted industry trends towards activation of software,
| and currently only uses such methods in some of its most costly professional
| software. While it is clear that Apple has been working on methods to combat
| piracy, it remains to be seen how far Apple will employ the methods in its
| software. Readers are reminded that only a portion of the applications filed
| end up making it to shipping products.
`----

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/20/apple-applies-for-autmoatic-shutdown-and-piracy-fighting-patents/
http://tinyurl.com/3cfbbp

McAfee to pay $13.8 million to settle backdating lawsuits

,----[ Quote ]
| McAfee has taken two major steps toward closing the stock-option backdating
| scandal that has plagued the company for the past two years.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071222/tc_infoworld/94209

Apple's Steve Jobs did this two, but managed to escape because he's rich.

Related:

Report: Steve Jobs gets SEC subpoena

,----[ Quote ]
| Bloomberg reports "people familiar with the matter" saying the subpoena is
| not part of an investigation, rather a demand for Jobs' deposition in the
| existing Heinen prosecution.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/20/jobs_apple_backdating_subpoena/

Options troubles aren't over for Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| But one of the accused -- former Chief Financial Officer Fred Anderson --
| pointed a finger at his former boss, Steve Jobs, raising new accusations
| that experts say could land Jobs in some legal hot water if true.
|
| [...]
|
| Gene Munster, a financial analyst at Piper Jaffray, said Anderson's
| accusations will fuel investors' worries over Jobs and his critical role in
| Apple's continued success.
|
| "It gives the appearance that, 'I had a partner in crime and it was Steve
| Jobs,'" Munster said.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070425/ap_on_hi_te/apple_stock_options

Microsoft's past stock options practice poses questions

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft in 1999 announced that it would end a policy of awarding
| options at monthly lows and said it would take a $217 million charge,
| though many details of that discontinued practice haven't been widely
| known, The Wall Street Journal said Friday.
|
| Those details raise questions about how Microsoft began the practice,
| what prompted the company to end it and whether the way the options
| were dated--at 30-day lows the month after they were
| granted--influenced other companies, it said.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6084617.html

Apple seeks patent for compactable disc adaptor

,----[ Quote ]
| That seems pretty obvious to me. Doesn't prior art in a variety of industries
| (including flat-pack furniture and telescopes) have these concepts covered?
|
| I have no fundamental problem with the idea of patents, but to my mind the
| degree of innovation behind this application is too trivial to deserve
| protection.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15474/1054/

Steve Jobs "nicked my battery design"

,----[ Quote ]
| He apparently contacted Apple with a request for the California firm to
| change its product or else to license the patent.

Microsoft infringing on one of Apple Patents?

,----[ Quote ]
| Keep in mind I am not a patent researcher, and I am sure Apple is not
| going to sue Microsoft for abusing one of their patents, but it does
| at least look like Microsoft is abusing this patent.
`----

http://www.noheat.com/2007/06/22/microsoft-infringing-on-one-of-apple-patents/

The Apple vs. Microsoft GUI Lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]