[News] A Look at the Wealth of GNU/Linux Applications, PDF Tools

  • Subject: [News] A Look at the Wealth of GNU/Linux Applications, PDF Tools
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:42:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
A List of 30 Less Popular Linux Applications Available in the Ubuntu
Repository. Screenshots Included!

,----[ Quote ]
| Have you ever wondered just how many packages are there inside the Ubuntu
| repository? You know there have to be a lot, but how many exactly? I was
| wondering the same thing yesterday while searching for a program and today, I
| had an idea about how to find out the exact number. I’m not sure, however,
| that it’s an accurate way of finding out how many packages are there.
`----

http://www.linuxlove.org/2007/12/20/list-of-30-less-popular-linux-applications-available-in-the-ubuntu-repository-screenshots-included/

PDF Editing & Creation: 50+ open source/free alternatives to Adobe Acrobat

,----[ Quote ]
| Adobe Acrobat is expensive, but that doesn’t mean you have to live a life
| without portable documents. What many people don’t realize is that PDF is a
| Federal Information Processing Standard, which means the specifications
| behind the format are widely published.
`----

http://www.cogniview.com/convert-pdf-to-excel/post/pdf-editing-creation-50-open-sourcefree-alternatives-to-adobe-acrobat/

There is also extensive (and increasing support for ODF now, at application-
and government-level).

Related:

Adobe to launch ads in PDF files

,----[ Quote ]
| A new ad platform is currently in Beta testing by Adobe and Yahoo which could
| change the way PDF publishers earn revenue. The platform would allow
| advertisements to be shown in Adobe's PDF file format. The opt-in service
| would host contextually targeted ads within the documents.
`----

http://www.bizreport.com/2007/11/adobe_to_launch_ads_in_pdf_files.html

GNU PDF to fill missing gap in functionality

,----[ Quote ]
| That's the main reason why the Free Software Foundation (FSF) has declared
| GNU PDF a high priority project, and is actively seeking donations to speed
| its progress.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/122195

FSF Accepting Donations For GNU PDF Project

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation is working to develop a set of libraries and
| programs that implement the PDF file format. Even non-developers can
| contribute to the cause.
`----

http://blue-gnu.biz/content/fsf_accepting_donations_gnu_pdf_project

Microsoft finally admits fault for PDF attacks

,----[ Quote ]
| There we were thinking that Adobe was at fault because its Acrobat reader had
| a vulnerability that exposed users to bad PDF files filled with malwares sent
| in spam when all along it was yet another vulnerability in Microsoft Windows.
| Microsoft has belatedly admitted that it's to blame and is working on a fix
| but for many it may be too late as spam with dodgy PDF files is hitting
| mailboxes by tens of thousands.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15053/1023/

New PDF Zero-Day Vulnerability

,----[ Quote ]
| The British security researcher who has disclosed two critical flaws in
| popular media files in the past week said Thursday that a zero-day
| vulnerability in Adobe Inc.'s pervasive PDF files could be exploited to
| snatch control of Windows XP systems.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,137469-page,1/article.html

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

The Structural Failures of Windows

PDF spam tsunami hits email inboxes

,----[ Quote ]
| The email messages are being sent from compromised home PCs, turned into
| zombie relay stations by hackers.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/09/pdf_spam_blitz/

Latest Stock Spam Strategy Uses PDFs