[News] Linux Gets Its Chance to Rave About Greenness, Not Just TCO

  • Subject: [News] Linux Gets Its Chance to Rave About Greenness, Not Just TCO
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:58:22 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Servers Get Their First Power and Performance Benchmark

,----[ Quote ]
| For the first forty years of the systems and server market, price/performance
| was basically the only metric that mattered within a given class of machines.
| But in the 21st century, when power and cooling issues are thwarting the
| attempts of companies to continue adding computing capacity at the rates they
| did in years gone by, there will be a new metric that people will start to
| pay attention to: performance/watt. To that end, the Standard Performance
| Evaluation Corporation has just release its first benchmark that gauges the
| performance and power consumption of servers.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/bns/bns121807-story01.html

Linux buries Windows by this criterion.

Related:

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

Open Source Software, OLPC, and the Importance of Being Green

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm referring to the need for the OLPC XO laptop to be extremely efficient in
| its power consumption. The OLPC laptop is designed to be used in places where
| there is no reliable power grid, or, in many cases, no power grid at all.
| This has challenged the OLPC Project is be very creative in how power is
| generated, stored and conserved.
`----

http://jmbuser.livejournal.com/6764.html

Linux, Windows duke it out over energy efficiency

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux appears to have an advantage at the moment: Companies are becoming
| increasingly open to adopting the platform both in the server room and on the
| desktop. Big-name vendors like IBM, HP, and Novell are giving the penguin a
| push in the datacenter, framing it as a flexible and energy-efficient
| platform. The fact that Linux offers greater virtualization opportunities
| than Windows (a sentiment recently expressed by the VMWare CTO Mendel
| Rosenblum) only strengthens the platform's green standing.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/sustainableit/archives/2007/08/linux_and_windo.html?source=rss

GNU/Linux is the most power-efficient OS on Intel hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a keynote given at OSCON, Intel's PowerTOP application has
| allowed developers to get a close-up view of what is sucking power in a
| GNU/Linux system. Apparently they've gotten so much feedback and patches that
| they've been able to extend battery life by an hour since the first release,
| making GNU/Linux the best OS for power saving.
`----

http://digg.com/linux_unix/GNU_Linux_is_the_most_power_efficient_OS_on_Intel_hardware

Where's The Software To Catch Up To Multicore Computing?

,----[ Quote ]
| A look at the Top500 Supercomputer Sites List (www.top500.org) shows
| that a large portion of the technical computing workload has moved
| to commodity Linux clusters: commodity servers, commodity
| networks and commodity storage
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197001130

SMP and Embedded Real Time

,----[ Quote ]
| Because not all embedded systems vendors will be willing or able
| to create or purchase SMP real-time operating systems, we can
| expect that a number of them will make use of Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| I hope I have convinced you that the -rt patchset greatly
| advances Linux's parallel real-time capabilities, and that Linux
| is quickly becoming capable of supporting the parallel real-time
| applications that are appearing in embedded environments.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9361

Multi-Core Processors Challenging Traditional Software Pricing Models

,----[ Quote ]
| However, Microsoft Corp. hasn't hopped on this train yet; it plans
| to continue to charge per processor for software
|
| [...]
|
| Another strategy for CIOs, suggested Giera, would be to consider
| using open-source software as an alternative to commercial software
| during the transition period.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061009/18110_id.html?.v=1n

Mini Linux box gains online storage, backups, updates

,----[ Quote ]
| Zonbu has sweetened the pie for Linux enthusiasts wishing to purchase its
| low-cost, silent, eco-friendly, PC outright -- without committing to an
| ongoing service contract. The $250 Zonbox PC includes OS upgrades, 2GB of
| free online storage, automatic backup services, and root access.
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS3133988238.html

Zonbu GNU/Linux computer

,----[ Quote ]
| Zonbu is a very simple system. It is geared for users who may not necessarily
| care what operating system they are using, but someone who just wants a
| functional system. Zonbu does exactly that. The software is very
| straightforward to use. Zonbu is very environmentally friendly. Not only does
| it not require a lot of power to run, it also does not contribute to noise
| pollution.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/zonbu

$99 Zonbu Linux PC On Sale Today

,----[ Quote ]
| We've had our hands on these super-green Linux-and-Via powered babies for a
| little while, but now it's your turn. Even though the beta program is
| expected to run until September, Zonbu is confident that the hardware on 1.0
| is locked. That's why today, the company started selling the little box, but
| will cover the first three months of software support, technically a beta
| run, for free.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/zonbu/99-zonbu-linux-pc-on-sale-today-279478.php

Linux net PC prototype gains favorable review

,----[ Quote ]
| PC Magazine reviewer Patrick Norton likes the Zonbox's low power requirements
| and complement of pre-loaded software, which includes Skype, the Banshee
| music jukebox, OpenOffice, and Firefox. YouTube video playback and mp3
| ripping are less than perfect, he reports. However, the Zonbox uses only 11
| Watts to play DVDs (external USB DVD player required). It can output to a
| 720p high-definition TV with "no problems," Norton found.

Review: Zonbu, the $99 Linux Computer

| There's a lot to like about Zonbu, including its three-year replacement
| warranty. With your configuration information and all your data backed up in
| the Zonbu online storage space, when you plug in, you can restore your
| machine instantly. As an added plus, Zonbu is environmentally friendly; the
| company claims the computer uses a fraction of the electricity of a standard
| PC, which will cut down on your company's electricity costs.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/120653

Zonbu to Roll Out $99 Linux-Based Computer This Summer

,----[ Quote ]
| There's a cheap computer on the way that undercuts them all, the $99
| Zonbu, due this summer in a silent-running form factor that's about
| the size of a paperback book.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cheap-pc/zonbu-to-roll-out-99-linux+based-computer-this-summer-258177.php

Gizmodo get their hands on Zonbu's remote-storage Linux PC

,----[ Quote ]
| Gizmodo have been playing with a halfway solution, Zonbu?s $99
| Linux PC, which runs open-source software on a fanless 1.2MHz
| platform but utilises Amazon?s S3 storage servers to save your files.
`----

http://www.slashgear.com/gizmodo-get-their-hands-on-zonbus-remote-storage-linux-pc-235408.php

Zonbu PC--the little, green rental machine

,----[ Quote  ]
`----

http://news.com.com/2300-1042_3-6197110-1.html?part=rss&tag=6197110&subj=news