[News] Linux Benefits from Windows Vista as Backlash Grows

  • Subject: [News] Linux Benefits from Windows Vista as Backlash Grows
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 03:57:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux or Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| On the Personal Computer show in December 2003 John C. Dvorak predicted a
| bright future for Linux. His main points being: it's free, the applications
| are getting more mainstream, Open Office is a "fabulous" product, the GUI is
| pretty much like Windows, it's high quality, bullet proof and resistant to
| the thousands of Windows viruses and worms. If he owned a company with
| thousands of PCs, he would put everyone on Linux.
|
| To date the only organizations (that I've heard about) using hundreds or
| thousands of Linux based computers are government agencies in countries all
| over the world. They may be driven by cost and/or security concerns
| (practically speaking there are no Linux viruses). Some countries also may
| not like being beholden to a U.S. based company for so much of their
| software.
`----

http://www.lieconomy.com/li/columnists/tolga/tolga121807.htm

It also talks about the issues Vista presents. In fact, with several
independent estimated that Linux usage doubled on the desktop in the past
year, this is hardly surprising.

Gauging Windows user’s reactions to Vista with Google

,----[ Quote ]
| Thanks to the amazing “quotes”
| and “&” feature it’s always easy to find relevant information and/or an exact
| phrase. Here are some of my favorite Google Searches and the enlightening
| consumer consensus they reveal about Windows Vista…
`----

http://vistasucks.wordpress.com/2007/12/20/gauging-windows-users-reactions-to-vista-with-google/

Looking bad for Vista on the Web.

Related:

Survey Says … Linux Desktop Is Ever More Popular

,----[ Quote ]
| The first thing we can say about the Linux desktop in 2007 is that there are
| more users than ever. The Linux Foundation 2006 survey had fewer than 10,000
| people signing in. This year more than 20,000 Linux desktop users reported
| in.

| Okay, now lets tie this all back in together. Novell claimed several months
| back in a video ad that Desktop Linux users accounted for upwards of
| 30,000,000 different people. That's 30 million. Recent statements made by
| some Novell representatives indicate that they expect there are upwards of
| 50,000,000 Desktop Linux users. Microsoft has never contested the number of
| Desktop Linux users, and if anything the deal Microsoft signed with Novell
| was tacit agreement that Microsoft believed those numbers to be accurate.
`----

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/11/desktop-os-vista-vs-linux.html

Linux Users Base More Than doubled Over Last One Year: Survey

,----[ Quote ]
| The number of Linux users has more than doubled over the last one year, says
| a new survey by DesktopLinux.com. The survey also said Ubuntu remains their
| Linux distribution of choice.
`----

http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/psecom,id,22,site_layout,sdaindia,news,19940,p,0.html

Survey: Desktop Linux use grows

,----[ Quote ]
| DesktopLinux.com, which is a Web site devoted to, obviously, desktop Linux,
| has finished a survey that found more than a doubling of Linux desktop users
| in the past year.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/techwatch/archives/013576.html

Desktop Linux on the Rise, Linux Foundation Reports

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2220549,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594