Re: Norway: ODF Must Be Used on Government Websites' Forms

____/ Linonut on Friday 21 December 2007 01:26 : \____

> * Tim Smith fired off this tart reply:
>
>> On 2007-12-20, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>> Translation provided by Groklaw reader:
>>><Quote>
>>> This is the decision of the government:
>>>
>>> * HTML should be the primary format for publication of public
>>> information on the Internet.
>>>
>>> * PDF (1.4 or newer, or PDF/A - ISO 19005-1) is compulsory when you
>>> wish to preserve the original layout of a document.
>>>
>>> * ODF (ISO/IEC 26300) must be used when publishing documents that are
>>> meant to be changed after downloading, eg. forms that are to be filled
>>> in by the user. - Norway's Ministry of Government Administration and
>>> Reform
>>></Quote>
>>
>> And idea why they didn't use PDF for the later?  PDF does have a forms
>> capability, which actually works pretty well.  The fields you are
>> supposed to change are editable, and the parts you aren't suppose to
>> change aren't.
>
> True, but you cannot /save/ the changes.
>
>> Not all PDF readers support PDF forms, though, so that could be a
>> problem.
>
> I thought the only software available for editing them /and/ saving them
> had to be bought (from Adobe).
>
> I've seen a pdf tools kit that was supposed to support editing and
> saving forms info in some kludgy fashion, but I didn't have any luck
> with it a couple years ago.

You're feeding a troll whose goal is to sabotage ODF adoption (posting history
here and elsewhere suggests so).

Speaking of which, as I glance at the signature that was randomly picked for
this post, "OLPC News" is apparently another fake blog from Microsoft and
Intel. It's anti-OLPC. It's not just me who says so.

Microsoft has a reputation of paying people to comment and create fake blogs.
Please don't feed the trolls.

"Fat operating systems spend most of their energy supporting their own fat."
        --Nicholas Negroponte, MIT Media Lab, rediff.com, Apr 2006
Mem:    515500k total,   444292k used,    71208k free,     4224k buffers