Re: [News] More Arrogance from Novell

After takin' a swig o' grog, Peter Köhlmann belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Nobody can stop us from selling Linux!
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I really hope that the FSF and Novell will find a way out of this, and
>> | that what I read in the Infoweek article was just yet another PR
>> | mistake from an uninformed and arrogant Novell spokesperson.
>> `----
>>
> http://www.libervis.com/blogs/5/charles/nobody_can_stop_us_from_selling_linux
>
> Actually, Novell is right.

Legally, maybe not.

However, if the FSF tries to enforce GPLv3 on all the packages that stay
with GPLv2, they may find libc and readline, etc., quickly forked, or
face a real rebellion by those who stick with GPLv2.

But does not BSD code already permeate GNU/Linux at this time?

It's an interesting dynamic, but I suspect many package maintainers
might go the Trolltech route, only it won't be
commercial-vs-noncommercial, but GPLv3-vs-GPLv2.

In the end, the FSF will not have the ability to stop private
individuals from doing whatever they want.

--
   "The reason (for) new versions is not to fix bugs. ... It's the stupidest
   reason to buy a new version I ever heard. When we do a new version we put in