Sergio Amadeu, Brazilian Linux Liberator

  • Subject: Sergio Amadeu, Brazilian Linux Liberator
  • From: Rafael <rafael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:28:49 +0900
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Brazil has been actively pursuing implementation of open source IT
solutions.  Recently I stumbled across the following article two years
ago, which perked my interest:

http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/06/20/1420245

Microsoft sues Brazilian magazine, IT official for defamation Sunday June 20, 2004 (02:00 PM GMT) By: Fergus Cassidy

In a 7 June filing to the Criminal Court of Sao Paulo, Microsoft said
that "Sergio Amadeu, President of the National Institute of Information Technology (ITI), aiming at disseminating free software among Ministries, State owned companies and governmental bodies, made
aggressive declarations lacking any kind of technical foundation about the use of the software developed by Microsoft."

The filing continues: "In defending free software, Mr. Amadeu does not abstain from criticizing Microsoft, accusing the company of a 'drug-dealer practice' for offering the operational system Windows to
some governments and city administration for digital inclusion programs.

"To Amadeu, this will be a decisive year to win the 'strategy of fear, uncertainty and doubt,' as he classifies the business model of Microsoft.

"These declarations made by Mr. President of the ITI, beyond being absurd and criminal, extrapolate prohibitions and violate duties inherent to the public office the Defendant exercises."

Asserting that Amadeu's remarks are infringing speech under Article 25 of the Press Law, Microsoft has demanded that Amadeu answer a list
of questions, mostly centred on the use of the phrase "drug dealer practice."

Per article:

http://www.petitiononline.com/amadeuus/

To: All those who *truly* believe in serious projects of social inclusion, to governments, especially in Brazil, that should not tolerate a North American company that is trying to deter righteous projects of social and technological uplifting of a developing nation.

Disagreeing with the policies of the Brazilian government in defense of free software — which is bringing to an end the *market reserve* of Microsoft for the purchase of software and government computers — the company is launching an offensive to try to intimidate the Brazilian government.

It also states,

The Practice of Intimidation

All of us already know that Microsoft doesn't let itself lose and that it's opposed to open competition, but the giant crossed the line
this week. In a clear act of intimidation loosed by the giant against the government of Brazil, the monopoly began criminal proceedings against the Brazilian government official responsible for
the deployment of free software, Sergio Amadeu, president of the ITI. The Brazilian official received judicial notice of criminal charges brought against him by the company against his supposed declarations, in the weekly "Carta Capital", saying that the donation
of software to governments is a practice similar to that of drug dealers. This declaration, attributed to Sergio Amadeu in the magazine, isn't original. The president of Sun and various activists of the free software movement use this analogy: "the first dose of proprietary software distributed for free is like a drug, after creating a dependency in the users the company starts to charge."

But why were the charges only brought against the Brazilian official?
The company also wants Sergio Amadeu to explain why, according to
the magazine, he attributes Microsoft's business strategy to the practice of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) where the free software
market is concerned. This is also nothing new. A week prior, a declaration entitled "Declaration of Barcelona for the advance of Free Software", signed by various international experts, among them Manuel Castells and Vinton Cerf, one of the creators of the Internet,
had already noted: "Free software must work hard to combat the techniques of FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) which are used against it."

http://www.for-the-people.org/blog/entries/entry.2004-06-18.1210

Microsoft and the Brazilian IT chief Lawrence Lessig reports on Microsoft's tactics.

Link:  http://www.lessig.org/

From the Lessig blog:

Apparently Microsoft has taken the first steps to filing a criminal defamation action against a Brazilian government official who was quoted criticizing Microsoft in a magazine article. Sergio Amadeu, head of the agency responsible for spreading free software within the
Brazilian government, is reported to have accused "the company of a 'drug-dealer practice' for offering the operational system Windows to
some governments and cities for digital inclusion programs. 'This is
a trojan horse, a form of securing critical mass to continue constraining the country'."

As indicated by my comment on the Lessig blog, Microsoft claims (in Portuguese) that their petition for an explanation from Sergio Amadeu
has been misinterpreted as the initiation of court proceedings.

Sergio Amadeu has also made an official statement (in Portuguese) on the matter. He points out that putting pressure on an official in this way to give an explanation is unprecedented, and, after consulting his own and the government's lawyers, he will not respond to it. He also reaffirms that the decision to use F/OSS in the Brazilian government was based on a desire to support democratic principles.

It would seem that bullying officials in developing countries is the new marketing innovation at Microsoft, and that in picking on Sergio Amadeu they may have chosen the wrong man.

Another blog points out that Bill Gates himself has, in the past, described his company's strategy as being, more or less, along the drug pusher model.

Created by Alastair Burt on 2004-06-18.

This is the blog being referred to:

http://hackers.propus.com.br/~pablo/blog/?id=32

Microsoft vs. Sérgio Amadeu - update

As I've told in my last blog entry, there're (now available) translations for the petitions both into english and into spanish.

I was reading a little more about the drug dealer argument, and I found something at least interesting:

"Although about three million computers get sold every year in China,
people don't pay for the software. Someday they will, though. And as
long as they're going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade."

It was said by Bill Gates, in a 1998 talk to university students (and
printed in Fortune Magazine) according to P2PNet. It surely turned on a big neon sign that says "Drug-Dealer Argument" in my head in the
exact moment I read it...

It looks like nothing ever became of it, from what I gather in the reading, that Microsoft decided after all, not to pursue legal action against Mr. Amadeu.

http://informatica.terra.com.br/interna/0,,OI327393-EI553,00.html

(Google translation from Portuguese)

Fifth, 17 of June of 2004, 20h22 MS clarifies asked for of explanation the director of the ITI

The Microsoft emitted a note today where he clarifies the episode of the explanation order that the company made Sergio Amadeu of the Silveira, president of the National Institute of Technology of Information (ITI. In interview to the CartaCapital magazine in the March month, Amadeu said that the company used “tactics of the gratuitous dealers” when supplying softwares programs of digital inclusion, what it would be a way to accustom the users.

The explanation order generated rumors of that the MS would be processing managing of the ITI. It reads to follow the complete one of the note of the Microsoft, signed for Rinaldo Zangirolami, General
Director of Legal and Corporative Subjects of the Microsoft Brazil:

Note of clarification

We are not processing nobody, and the order of explanations is not related to a personal question.

The Microsoft continues engaged with a respectful and opened dialogue
with the government, customers and the industry to address the necessities of the Brazilian economy and the community.

The Microsoft is present in the country has 14 years more than. Our commitment with the country is of long stated period. By means of ours 10,000 partners, 45,000 jobs are generated in Brazil and more than R$ 1 billion is collected in taxes annually.

Rinaldo Zangirolami General director of Legal and Corporative Subjects Microsoft Brazil

However IMHO, it appears the news helped to galvanize the Linux movement in Brazil. In addition, Brazil has gone for a one million OLPC order for children:

Brazil nears million Linux laptop order Aug. 28, 2006

The OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) project reported Aug. 27 that Brazil is finalizing plans for "all aspects" of its $100 laptop roll-out. Along with Argentina, Nigeria, and Thailand, Brazil had previously indicated interest in purchasing 1 million of the machines for needy
children.

Spread the word: digg this story Walter Bender, the OLPC's president for software and content, said in his weekly news update that, up to now, the Brazilian project has been coordinated solely by that country's presidency with the assistance of the Ministry of Education. "They will now begin to work more deeply with other ministries," Bender said via email.

The OLPC project aims to distribute -- free of charge -- millions of Linux-based laptop computers, complete with their own power sources, to needy children in developing countries around the world.

Several days ago, the OLPC posted a brief news item that discussed a possible new design, along with a name change from "The $100 Laptop" to "The Children's Machine."

Blog of the Sergio Amadeu

http://samadeu.blogspot.com/

Following is a Google translation from Portuguese to English, with
clean-up of a few words it could not translate, so there may be errors.
Translation reads a little awkward but most should be able to grasp Mr.
Amadeu's points.  He is for freedom that Open Source and Linux
expresses, even extending it to machines that children can enhance their
learning with computers down to their level of understanding.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007 BIENNIAL OF IT JOINS: RIVER, 30 of January of 2007

Amadeu approached as the cultural goods and the symbolic goods inside
acquire a value of informacionais nets e, through this, have a intangible, different capacity of the classic industrial production. “To reproduce a chair, we can use the same materials and use refined methods so that in a production line they are practically identical -
but each one will have its materiality and its particularitity”, it said.

“In the digital ways, the reproduction them cultural goods (musics, codes, texts, photos) is identical”, it does not add cost and it does
not exclude who already possesss it, that is, it is not possible to
imagine to apply the same rules of the scarcity for the cultural goods that circulate in the digital ways.”

Analyst has much time of the question of the copyright and of the patents in the context of the Internet, Amadeu questions the current contradiction in the production and reproduction of the information. “We live in a time of dispute of two standards of development - the colaborativo and the restrictive one”. In this direction, the great corporations, producers of software, recorders, woman editors, reproduce legal mechanisms that criminalizam the cooperation and the dissemination of the knowledge.

Ways opened for the knowledge However, the ways that they make possible that the colaborativo and shared knowledge generates each time more knowledge already pave an avenue. In less than 15 years, the GNU/Linux - a free operational system - reached a development level that surpasses its similar proprietor in innumerable areas. Segundo Amadeu, the ten had access sites more in the Internet (between them Yahoo, Google and Youtube) they use free software to control its servers.

“Open Codes generate more security, therefore they can differently be
auditados, of what proprietor occurs with software”. Closed models can contain “robots” that infringe the freedom of the users. “And funniest”, Amadeu says “is that juridicamente any invasion of privacy
is questioned fierce. A telephonic listening cannot be effected without judicial errand - but because these actions are not questioned”.

If the informacional net, the Internet, is the way that it makes possible to exponenciar the knowledge to the infinite, of the form of
intangible production of good, its reach becomes element of inclusion or exclusion. In accordance with Sergio Amadeu, “what he is
observed inside of the Internet structure is that he also has the reproduction of a model centraliser of information and access, today needs a supplier so that let us have access to an information of a computer that is to our side, therefore the hierarchy of the net thus
was configured.”

Nothing of technician he is involved in this process - are questions of standards, defined for convenience or imposition. “Why not to use colaborativas forms in the form of connection with the nets”. In this
direction, Amadeu presented the OpenSpectrum movement and the concept
of Mesh Net (net threshes), where the computers if would become
machines to “telecomunicate”.

Each computer could be a station to transmit and to relay information, excusing access suppliers and extending the access covering the Internet. For this, the Wi-Fi technology could be used, with nets in wire, that would also excuse the structure of handles.

Of the machine to communicate for the one to telecomunicate This concept, also introduced in the models of laptops of project OLPC (One Laptop Per Child), idealized for Nicolas Negroponte, he will be
being tested for some Brazilian schools this year. In fact, it would
be the true democratization of the knowledge, the communication and
the ways to produce information. Any laptop could be the protagonist
of a video transmission, of audio, without having that to pass to
any filter, or marketing restriction.

It looks like certain members of the open source community see Mr. Amadeu as a hero, with a sense of homor by these wanted posters:

(Loosely translated, may have errors)

http://fotos.michelazzo.com.br/comunidade_sl/amadeu

http://fotos.michelazzo.com.br/comunidade_sl/amadeu_2

--