Re: [News] Enterprise Not Interested in Vista, MSFT Continues Decline

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/implementation/archives/vista-upgrade-corporate-fleets-costly-waste-of-time-14324

http://sharemarketcomments.blogspot.com/2007/02/microsoft-continues-long-march-down.html
> http://tinyurl.com/yq6p59

Microsoft is really caught between the rock and the hardplace. In the early
days, they rejected security, because marketing told them that people
didn't want to jump through hoops to use their computers. Of course, the
total lack of security together with the Internet has meant that a lot of
people have suffered badly at the hands of the "black hat coders". The
Internet itself is also suffering badly with much of the bandwidth being
taken up by spam, viruses, worms and general malware.

Microsoft floated the idea with Longhorn of rewriting their product from the
ground up, this time with security in mind. I'm sure that the marketing
department got the feedback that a fundamental change in their OS would
make Linux more interesting. After all, if you have to change all your
applications, then you might as well go for free ones.

Now Microsoft has had to use the same old broken code base and try and bolt
some security onto the top. This isn't going to help much as a lot of the
existing holes are still there. Seeing as there is a lot of new code in
Vista, it won't take long before a whole bunch of new holes are also found.
This will probably leave the users of Vista in a worse state than using XP,
if that is at all possible.

So, Microsoft are damned if they do and damned if they don't and the market
is beginning to understand that. I guess that it comes back to the old
saying. Software design is like a Thomas Hardy novel. You will eventually
be punished for your errors in judgement.

Ian