Re: [News] Wal-Mart Helps Support Microsoft's Monopoly

__/ [ Doug Mentohl ] on Thursday 08 February 2007 15:07 \__

http://tips.webdesign10.com/is-microsoft-intentionally-causing-problems-for-firefox-on-msn

> Not forgetting the Opera dodge ..
>
> "in October 2001, MSN effectively blocked Opera users from viewing the MSN
> home page by requiring them to "upgrade" to Microsoft's Internet Explorer"
>
> http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,890280,00.asp

Let's not feed Bill Weisgerber (amicus_curious).

In any event, this results not only from Wal-mart-Microsoft ties, but also
from software tools which were made to produce Microsoft/Windows-only output
which serves a wider public (a 'spread the plague' mentality).

Expert Testimony of Ronald Alepin in Comes v. Microsoft - Embrace, Extend,
Extinguish

,----[ Quote ]
| You'll hear some emails read aloud, one of Bill Gates's, an email from
| 1996 about Java, where he says he was losing sleep over how great
| Java was, and you'll see a strategy he suggested -- "fully
| supporting Java and extending it in a Windows/Microsoft way".
|
| [...]
|
| Well, when applets are cross-platform, it expands the number of
| applications that are available to you so you can go to a website.
| And if you have a Linux computer or a Macintosh computer or a Windows 3.1
| computer, you can get an application and it will run.
|
| You don't have to either select a specific application or hope that the
| independent software vendor or the website created the application for your
| platform. So it would increase the number of applications available to you.

                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Digits 772-777 of Pi are 999999
         run-level 5  Jan 23 00:41                   last=S