Re: [News] Wal-mart Video Blocks Mozilla Firefox

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Friday 09 February 2007 09:00 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Walmart video site gets worse
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | As you can see, if you go to their video downloading page here,
>> | it now properly detects your browser. Yay, progress! Sadly, if
>
> Movielink.com also blocks Firefox.

A second offender doesn't make the first one innocent.

And the Apple doesn't fall far from the tree... looking at the technology at
the back often gives a clue. Software is being built this way. They build
tools that leave developers under the /illusion/ that the product will work
everywhere.

Comes v. Microsoft Resumes Today

,----[ Quote ]
| "Ronald Alepin, an independent consultant and former CTO for Fujitsu,
| disputed the idea that Microsoft had been an innovator in the field.
| He said that interoperability protocols were developed by companies
| other than Microsoft, and that Microsoft has simply extended the
| protocols and then refused to disclose the extensions. In so doing,
| he told the court, Microsoft "has hijacked standard
| interoperability protocols agreed by the entire industry."

Expert Testimony of Ronald Alepin in Comes v. Microsoft - Embrace, Extend,
Extinguish

,----[ Quote ]
| You'll hear some emails read aloud, one of Bill Gates's, an email from
| 1996 about Java, where he says he was losing sleep over how great
| Java was, and you'll see a strategy he suggested -- "fully
| supporting Java and extending it in a Windows/Microsoft way".
|
| [...]
|
| Well, when applets are cross-platform, it expands the number of
| applications that are available to you so you can go to a website.
| And if you have a Linux computer or a Macintosh computer or a Windows 3.1
| computer, you can get an application and it will run.
|
| You don't have to either select a specific application or hope that the
| independent software vendor or the website created the application for your
| platform. So it would increase the number of applications available to you.

                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Yes, I know, but does it run Linux?"
Cpu(s):  22.9% user,   2.8% system,   0.7% nice,  73.6% idle