[News] The $100 Linux Laptop More Secure Than $1000 Vista Laptop

Bringing tech to every child

,----[ Quote ]
| It will come loaded with 100 books, music files, cartoons,
| games and educational material in a variety of languages. It
| runs on two watts of power and can access the Internet via
| a mesh network.
`----

http://www.topix.net/content/kri/2905929273367028619420701444353059690067

The subject line is based on a nice description which I have seen in another
article. it discusses the UNIX methodology and how it ensures that a
monoculture (hardware- and software-wise) is no reason to worry.

Related:

Bitfrost - Bitfrost is the OLPC security platform

,----[ Quote ]
| We have set out to create a system that is both drastically
| more secure and provides drastically more usable security than
| any mainstream system currently on the market.
`----

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Bitfrost

The $100 Computer

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, Intel may just be unhappy that the computers will use AMD
| chips, and Gates might be fuming that they will run on Linux instead
| of Windows. The stakes are high for both firms; while this may be a
| charitable effort at first, they ultimately see it as a long-term
| move to build a market and capture the loyalty of tomorrow's consumers.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/01/27/cheap-computers-poor-lead-citizen-cx_hc_davos07_0127laptop.html?partner=yahootix

A closer look at what '$100 laptop' will be

,----[ Quote ]
| After the kids have their say, and necessary changes are made, the
| nonprofit group One Laptop Per Child (OLPC at www.laptop.org) plans to ship
| 5 million XOs around the world by the end of 2007, a first installment
| toward reaching the 1 billion school-age children now growing up in the
|        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| developing world. The machines will be built by Quanta Computer in Taiwan.
|
| [...]
|
| Inside, the operating system is based on Linux open-source software,
| ignoring both Windows and Mac. Instead of folders on the opening
| screen, students see a figure representing a child (an X with an
| O over it, hence the "XO") surrounded by a circle of icons
| showing what activities are in use. The system also includes
| an Internet browser, a word processor, games, and a toolkit
| for a wide variety of musical activities.
`----

http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0129/p13s01-stct.html

Video: Hands-on with OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| Nick Negroponte's OLPC made an appearance at CES, in partner
| Marvell's booth. Marvell supplies the 802.11 b/g chipset, as
| well as a chipset made exclusively for mesh networking.
| Fortunately for us (but unfortunately for Marvell) we all
| know why everyone showed up, and it definitely wasn't for
| ICs. Take a look up top, or download at the bottom.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/10/video-hands-on-with-olpc/

Australia To Trial OLPC

,----[ Quote ]
| In a surprise announcement, the government of the Northern Territory
| has announced that they are testing the OLPC (One Laptop Per Child)
| machines with a view to launching trials in remote communities.
|
| The OLPC has been designed for children in the developing world, in
| regions that struggle for basic infrastructure like clean running
| water, and electricity. So it may come as a surprise to some that
| an Australian state government has put up a hand to trial the new
| laptops.
`----

http://www.localfoss.org/Australia_To_Trial_OLPC

Rwanda Commits to Low-Cost Laptop Project

,----[ Quote ]
| Rwanda is the eighth developing country to join the One Laptop
| Per Child initiative aimed at giving away inexpensive
| computers to all young students.

$100 laptop project eyes launch

,----[ Quote ]
| The first countries to sign up to buying the machine include
| Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Nigeria, Libya,
| Pakistan and Thailand.

Public can purchase $100 laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| The backers of the One Laptop Per Child project plan to
| release the machine on general sale next year.

One Laptop Per Child: XO Phase 2 Progress

,----[ Quote ]
| The B2 prototypes are planned to be delivered to the interested
| countries for practical testing later this month.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/gnu/one-laptop-per-child-xo-phase-2/

OLPC details low-cost laptop Build 2 mods

,----[ Quote ]