[News] Cisco Open-Sources NAC Client

Cisco going open source with NAC client

,----[ Quote ]
| As it develops the next generation of network security infrastructure,
| Cisco Systems Inc. is planning to cease development on its network
| admission control (NAC) client, the Cisco Trust Agent (CTA), and
| submit the source code for the software client to the open
| source community, Bob Gleichauf, CTO of Cisco's Security
| Technology Group, told InfoWorld.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070208/tc_infoworld/85864_1

The less pleasant bits of the article speak about Cisco sidling with
Microsoft. They probably try to resolve the mess which is the result of
Windows botnets.

Related:

Why the world needs openness, not interoperability.

,----[ Quote ]
| This NAC/NAP lovefest would be laughable if it weren't such
| a kick-in-the-teeth to the rest of the industry, enterprise IT, and
| all Internet users. A Cisco/Microsoft oligopoly stalls implementation,
| stifles innovation, and makes the network less secure. In this way, Cisco
| and Microsoft are standing in the way of progress.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-11203_3-6112960.html?part=rss&tag=6112960&subj=news

Open source router on par with Cisco, users say

,----[ Quote ]
| "I'd say that any PC we could put [Vyatta OFR] on today is going to be
| way faster than Cisco. I would not be doing backbone routing with this,
| but I would not hesitate to say this will compete against Cisco
| either," Newnam said. "Well, as long as we're not switching half of
| the U.S. of course."
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1218088,00.html

Cisco exec: Windows Vista is scary

,----[ Quote ]
| "Parts of Vista scare me," Gleichauf said at the Gartner Security Summit
| here on Monday. "Anything with that level of systems complexity will have
| new threats, as well as bringing new solutions. It's always a struggle
| in security, trying to build for what you don't know."
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6116823.html

University dumps Cisco VOIP for open-source Asterisk

,----[ Quote ]
| SHSU is in the process of moving its 6,000 students, faculty and staff off
| of Cisco CallManager IP PBXs and a legacy Nortel Meridian PBX over to Linux
| servers running Asterisk...
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1646405846;fp;4;fpid;78268965

Dumping Cisco for open-source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source networking trend is limited so far, but it
| could grow fast
|
| The open-source movement, which has long made inroads
| into corporations via Linux and other enterprise-level
| software, now has a potentially bigger target in its
| cross hairs: the PBXs and network routers from companies
| such as Cisco Systems Inc. that form the basis of
| networking infrastructure.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9004223
http://tinyurl.com/t8cfw

Open source router tempts company to bid Cisco firewall farewell

,----[ Quote ]
| As open source router start-up Vyatta is scheduled to formally launches
| its first appliance this week, one early adopter is using the
| Linux-based gear to replace Cisco technologies.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/100206-vyatta.html

Cisco warns of vulnerabilities in NAC product

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070104/tc_infoworld/84861