Re: [News] New Push for Open Source Hardware Announced Today

> Perens set to tackle open-source hardware
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| On Monday, Perens plans to announce the TAPR Open Hardware
>| License, a document written by John Ackerman designed
>| specifically to govern hardware designs that can be
>| modified and redistrubuted. Perens plans to submit the
>| license to the Open Source Initiative for its as an
>| open-source license.
> `----
>
> http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6156093.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
> http://tinyurl.com/2noydh

Every time I think that packet radio is more or less dead, something
like this turns up to surprise me...

This is a great idea, of course, and is possibly something we should
have had several decades ago, before electronics designs became owned by
whichever publishing organ they appeared in, and then later, the chip
designs began to dominate things, as VLSI came along.

It is just possible that this approach could re-open the design space
which was locked-down by VLSI, although I wonder where all the hardware
designers will come from...  you don't see much in the way of hobby
designers any more here, so there won't be all that many people heading
for universities to learn more.

Still, I hope it is successful.