Re: Open Source/Linux Routers a Looming Threat to Cisco?

  • Subject: Re: Open Source/Linux Routers a Looming Threat to Cisco?
  • From: "Rex Ballard" <rex.ballard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 8 Feb 2007 07:26:38 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
On Feb 8, 4:56 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Routing project expands open-source networking
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Open Linux Router software will provide routing, firewall/VPN,
> | NAT and Apache web, plus FTPserver and basic enterprise security
> | such as intrusion detection. It will be available for download
> | onto a standard PC or a small embedded device.
> `----
> http://uk.news.yahoo.com/07022007/152/routing-project-expands-open-so...

Actually, the Linksys (Cisco) and D-Link routers have all of these
capabilities
built-in, and yes, there is source available.  NetGear and Belkin also
offer similar
hardware/software, though I don't see where to download the source
code.

LinkSyss, D-Link, and NetGear have both picked up new features as a
result.
For example, some of the routers now support USB drives as well.

If you added a little bit more memory to one of these boxes, you could
have a "mini-Tux"
that could be connected to a PC and offer full desktop capabilities
using VNC through
an ethernet connection.  Most of these machines do not support Video
output, otherwise
they would be full blown desktops.  Not bad for 2 boxes, each less
than 1/2 size of a VHS tape.
Total power consumption, about 24 watts.  About 1/20th the consumption
of tridational PCs.