[News] Symantec on Microsoft's Need for Lack of Security

Symantec: Microsoft conflict of interest is damaging internet

,----[ Quote ]
| Symantec's chief executive has lambasted Microsoft for a dangerous
| conflict of interest as both the provider of an operating system
| and seller of software designed to secure its users.
|
| [...]
|
| Thompson told RSA delegates: "You wouldn't want the company that is
| keeping your books to audit your books. The same logic should apply.
| You wouldn't want the company that created your company's operating
| platform to be the one that is securing it from a broad range of
| threats. It's a huge conflict of interest."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/07/symantec_thompson_microsoft/

This comes on the same day that Windows zombies attacked the heart of the
Web. Web armageddon approaching? We recently disconncted a lot of people
whose computers 'misbehaved'. Heavy fines and suspensions ensued, but how
long can this go on? These innocent people can't even do their work anymore
and they run around trying to 'mend' their PCs. They say poor O/S security
doesn't hurt anyone while I see people plead with begging letters.

Related:

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/