Re: Counter Strike (Half Life) Runs Under Linux

__/ [ cc ] on Wednesday 07 February 2007 11:51 \__

> On Feb 7, 6:30 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> World of Warcraft on OpenSuse Linux 10.1 (with Wine)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | A while ago I started thinking about running World of Warcraft on
>> | Linux, and someone even left me a note about a petition for a
>> | Linux-native client a month or two ago too. I'd love to see a
>> | native client for WoW in Linux, but that's not here today. So
>> | I turned to Wine for the first time in years.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.latenightpc.com/blog/archives/2006/11/25/world-of-warcraft...
>
> I tried WoW under Wine and it's awful compared to running natively on
> Windows. That blog lists some problems with it, and if you go to the
> actual Wine page for it you will see a host of problems. The main
> thing is, even if you get it to where it's considered "working," it's
> slow and the FPS sucks donkey balls. Do you have a link for the Linux-
> native petition, because I'd gladly sign that? This is something
> Blizzard needs to do, not some third party hack job.

I tried searching to deliver this this to you, but it got bumped off the
threshold of my feedsreader. Either way, Cedega which is cheap is doing a
comendable job.

Windows games in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Gamers like to be able to play all their games and get right to
| gaming instead of messing with configurations. Even if their
| games were available for Linux, switching to Linux seemed like
| a bad choice until recently, as only a very small amount of
| commercial games have official Linux-support.
|
| [...]
|
| Cedega has added many unique features not found in Wine, like
| compatibility with most modern copy-protections and a Games Disc
| Database in which profiles optimized for each of the games in
| the database are available, as well as a GUI for managing
| installed games.
|
| Cedega costs only $5 month, but you have to sign up for at
| least 3 months, yet trying it out is not a budget-killer -
| you can always cancel your subscription.
`----

http://friendlylinux.org/2007/01/28/windows-games-in-linux/

There are also native games, e.g.:

Mods of 2006 - Player's Choice

,----[ Quote ]
| 80,000 votes. 4,000 mods. Over the course of 2 months, gamers from
| across the globe came together to decide which mods rank as the
| epitome of what our hard working community can do.
|
| [...]
|
| 5th Place. CodeRED - Alien Arena
|
| 4th Place. Nexuiz
|
| 3rd Place. OpenArena
|
| 2nd Place. Warsow
|
| 1st Place. Tremulous
`----

http://features.moddb.com/287/mods-of-2006-players-choice/?fpage=3
http://tinyurl.com/2sqh34

Supergamer LiveDVD - Gaming on Linux hits new levels

,----[ Quote ]
| SuperGamer is a modified version of PCLinuxOS - one that contains lots and
| lots of neat games. To name a few:
|
|     * America's Army
|     * Cube
|     * Doom 3
|     * Enemy Territory
|     * ...
`----

http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=737

FWIW:

Vista breaks 90% of games, claims game publisher

,----[ Quote ]
| Alex St. John, chief executive of game publisher WildTangent, today
| blasted his former employer for a half-baked and negligent way of
| treating the majority of game publishers - small development studios
| and individual programmers of casual games: St. John claims that at
| least nine out of ten games do not work with Vista.
`----

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2007/01/30/vista_games/

Maybe some patches will fix many of these issues.

Hope it helps.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | HTML is for page layout, not for textual messages
Tasks: 114 total,   2 running, 110 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie