Re: [News] Bringing Linux to the Enterprise

__/ [ BearItAll ] on Tuesday 06 February 2007 13:40 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Unix vendors get creative in face of Windows, Linux competition
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "People wanted to go to Linux," says Min Kang, director of IT at the
>> | firm in El Segundo, Calif.
>> |
>> | With Unix maturing out of its expensive, big server days into more
>> | flexible packages that, in Sun?s case, can even run on competitors'
>> | hardware, Kang and his team had broader options.
>> |
>> | Today, the company's Web sites, which get about 15 million unique
>> | visitors monthly, are supported primarily by Dell servers running
>> | Solaris.
>> |
>> | "This gives us freedom because Solaris on x86 runs on pretty much
>> | anything: you can run it on HP, you can run it on Dell -- you can
>> | choose your hardware. But then you also get the reliability of
>> | Solaris support and that's my main thing -- support," Kang says.
>> | "If Sun didn't have Solaris 10 on x86 we would probably have gone
>> | to Linux."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/0205-7-special-focus.html
>>

> I thought this would start to happen, that IT folk would see Solaris as a
> real alternative to the big end servers. Solaris is a cracking product, the
> only thing that held me back was that to be fair to Solaris it does need a
> fairly meaty machine. That isn't because it is wastefull with resources,
> it's just a bigger beast than your average Linux.
>
> I bet your left sock that as word of the capabilities of Solaris spread it
> will be taken up big time.

How will Sun Microsystems maintain profit? I suppose they could go for
services, just like IBM...

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Partition if an operating $ysteM must be set aside
  3:05pm  up 14 days 15:23,  6 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.66, 0.65