Re: Micoshaft Loses Ground to IIS

__/ [ Linonut ] on Tuesday 06 February 2007 02:46 \__

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
> wisdom:
>
>> Micrososft tweaks Netcraft stats. I'll refer you to Microsoft's GoDaddy
>> 'bribery':
>>
>> | Perens: Not the first. It's part of a continuing behavior pattern by
>> | Microsoft that I think it's fair to call "dirty fighting." GoDaddy was
>> | using Apache (I assume on Linux) because it was a great technical
>> | solution. They didn't switch to IIS on Windows Server 2003 for any
>> | technical reason. The switch was accompanied by a press release by
>> | GoDaddy, containing Microsoft promotional language. Now, I've changed
>> | many servers from one thing to another, but I've never made a press
>> | release about it. GoDaddy wouldn't be doing that unless Microsoft had
>> | offered them something valuable in return. There has been talk in the
>> | domain business that Microsoft has been offering the large domain
>> | registries a wad of cash to switch their parked sites. There is no
>> | other reason to do this than to influence the Netcraft figures.
>
> And how about this:
>
>    http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html
>
>    In the January 2007 survey we received responses from 106,875,138
>    sites, an increase of 1.63 million from last month's survey. Leading
>    the growth is Microsoft, which adds more than 650K hostnames on its
>    Windows Live Spaces blog service, ....
>
> And right after that:
>
>    Windows added 620K hostnames, while Apache had growth of 492K sites.
>
> A bit inconsistent (650K added in first paragraph, only 620K in the
> second), but you get the idea:
>
>    EXTREE EXTREE READ ALL ABOUT IT!
>
>    MICROSOFT ADDS 620K HOST NAMES, AND THEY'RE ALL RUNNING IIS!!!o
>
> If that ain't padding, I don't know what the hell it is.  All the growth
> in IIS, essentially, comes from Microsoft itself.

Good find. I'll keep it in my references list.

Just comes to show what Microsoft is doing behind the scenes. Apache is not a
company, so it can't pull those dirty tricks.

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: mint and self-contained 'out of the box'
roy      pts/1                         Mon Feb  5 16:56 - 16:58  (00:02)