Re: most reliable sites run on Linux ..

  • Subject: Re: most reliable sites run on Linux ..
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:46:41 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 06 Feb 2007 02:02:48 +0000
<2376336.lQdxMWxvBJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> __/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Tuesday 06 February 2007 00:02 \__
>
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, OK
>> <otto@xxxxxxxxx>
>>  wrote
>> on Tue, 06 Feb 2007 00:18:57 +0100
>> <ejefs21mionhbib2su3cge4ds01ppi6oou@xxxxxxx>:

>>> Speaking of netcraft, you probably noticed that Apache is on the way
>>> down, the slope looks like (-1) and at this rate, in 18 short months
>>> from now the so-called Apache domination of the web will be history:
>>>
>>> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2007/02/overallc.gif
>>
>> One should also note that Windows is on the second most
>> reliable server on that list as well -- www.web.com .
>> Linux is on www.iWeb8.com, the third most reliable server.
>>
>> Windows wins this round.
>
> Apache controls 73% of the live Web.
>
> December 2006 Security Space Survey Results

You're two months off; the percentage is now 58.7%.  Mind you,
it's a problem anyway; how does one "control" the Web?  At
best, the WWWC defines things such as HTML and HTTP, and
allows for specification of communications between a web server
and a user agent (aka web browser).

Also, you've mentioned GoDaddy games -- and they
are games.  But Apache percentage is going down, though
IIS is not picking up the slack.

I don't know who is.

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Security Space estimates that nearly 90 percent of all Web sites
> | are "orphans" to which no other sites link. Its Web server survey
> |     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> | therefore counts only those servers referenced on other sites.
> `----
>
> http://www.serverwatch.com/stats/article.php/3652421
>
> Microsoft, in the mean time, is paying Web hosts to move inactive sites
> (millions of them) to some idle Windows servers. This enables Microsoft to
> deliver more lies to prospective customers, boasting a bogus growth that was
> paid for.

Not illegal, as you state below.  Problematic, to be sure.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of
elderberries!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail