Re: MS OneCare fails to detect viruses ..

  • Subject: Re: MS OneCare fails to detect viruses ..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 16:45:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Phil Da Lick! ] on Monday 05 February 2007 16:00 \__

> Doug Mentohl wrote:
>> "The security testing group found that Live OneCare missed far more active
>> viruses than any other program tested"

> "When Vista was launched on 30 January, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates
> claimed that it was "dramatically more secure" than other operating
> systems."
>
> Priceless.

"Microsoft has admitted that speech recognition features in Vista could be
hijacked so that a PC tells itself to delete files or folders."

Windows Vista: It's More Secure, We Promise

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, allow me to take a moment to remind everyone of something that
| you might not remember - XP was also touted as being ultra secure.
| Seriously, can anyone honestly look themselves in the mirror and say
| this is the gospel truth? You have got to be kidding me. Similar to
| XP, Microsoft promises to have the most secure Windows version to date
| yet again.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2357&Itemid=449

eEye Research

| A flaw exists within Windows Vista that allows local privilege
| escalation to SYSTEM.
|
| Operating Systems Affected:
| Microsoft Windows Vista
`----

http://research.eeye.com/html/advisories/upcoming/20070119a.html

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
| the BBC reports. "Despite all that, the net is still working,
| which is pretty amazing. It's pretty resilient," he said.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

How Long Does It Take To Catch A Computer Virus?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=197002712&subSection=All+Stories

--
                        ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Black holes are where God is divided by zero"
         run-level 5  Jan 23 00:41                   last=S