[News] Brazil's Government Tax Exemptions Encourage Linux Use

Brazilian government will update its tax-exempt Linux computers initiative

,----[ Quote ]
| Computador para Todos is a government project that offers special tax
| exemptions and lines of credit for popular (low end) computer makers in
| Brazil, as long as the computers are sold with Linux and an array of 26
| pre-installed free software common applications, like a word processor, an
| e-mail client and other apps surely found in most Linux distros. The tax
| exemption is only valid if the PC is sold for less than R$ 1200 (about US$
| 550), retail.
|
| According to official estimatives, more than 800,000 PCs were sold
| using these tax exemptions and lines of credit in 2006, with a wide variety
| of international and local brands of Linux distros installed, despite
| claims that roughly 73% of the customers replace the pre-installed Linux
| distro with unlicensed Windows XP copies, less than 4 weeks after buying
| the computer.
`----

http://br-linux.org/brazil/?p=7

Related:

Brazil's FOSS utopia image at risk

,----[ Quote ]
| According to the international media, Brazil is a leader in free
| and open source software (FOSS) adoption. The New York Times
| describes the country as "a tropical outpost of the free software
| movement," while BBC News claims that "Increasingly, Brazil's
| government ministries and state-run enterprises are abandoning
| Windows in favour of 'open-source' or 'free' software."
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/17/2018227&tid=51&tid=11

EnabledPeople & partners deploys 50,000 Linux desktops in Brazil January 6

,----[ Quote ]
| BitWay Computadores, Imtech Brazil and EnabledPeople launch
| massive deployments of Linux PCs with preinstalled Linux XP
| Desktop software for Brazil goverment program
`----

http://www.enabledpeople.com/blog/2007/01/06/bitway-imtech-enabledpeople-had-deployed-about-50000-linux-desktops-in-brazil-since-september-2006/

Dreamlinux Multimedia Edition 2.2 -- Things just keep getting better in
Brazil

,----[ Quote ]
| I am honestly pleased to give this package a 5 Pennie review, simply
| in the fact that I love the look, the functionality and the way
| they went about getting what any newbie would want into an easy to
| use Live CD, quick installer, ease of access to proprietary
| packages and functional desktop that is easy to use and a joy
| to work with.
`----

http://knolinux.com/2007/01/04/dreamlinux-multimedia-edition-22--things-just-keep-getting-better-in-brazil.aspx

Brazil Schoolchildren To Get $100 Laptop PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on Friday received a version
| of a $100 laptop computer to be distributed nationwide, and 50 were
| expected to be tested in Brazilian schools beginning next week.
`----

http://www.tbo.com/news/nationworld/MGBL1G1JXUE.html

E-Voting Raises New Questions in Brazil

,----[ Quote ]
| Fontoura confirmed that Brazil is considering a move away from
| Microsoft's proprietary code -- "We are studying the possibility of using
| an open-source program like Linux in future elections. This would make the
| entire process much more transparent and far less expensive," he said.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060929/brazil_electronic_voting.html?.v=2

Startup is counting on open source to launch its MMOG

,----[ Quote ]
| Hoplon runs Linux exclusively on its servers and on the majority of
| developer workstations. The production environment runs on a IBM System
| z mainframe running Linux virtual servers.

Whatever happened to Diebold's brazilian Linux distro of choice?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://br-linux.org/brazil/?p=3

Brazil Schoolchildren To Get $100 Laptop PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on Friday received a version
| of a $100 laptop computer to be distributed nationwide, and 50 were
| expected to be tested in Brazilian schools beginning next week.
`----

http://www.tbo.com/news/nationworld/MGBL1G1JXUE.html

OLPC's £75 laptop to ship next week

,----[ Quote ]