Re: [News] European Businesses Urged Shun Microsoft Formats

  • Subject: Re: [News] European Businesses Urged Shun Microsoft Formats
  • From: John Bailo <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 20:42:01 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
Microsoft and rivals jostle over open doc standard

,----[ Quote ]
| A campaign led by open-source body Open Forum Europe and the ODF
| Alliance is urging businesses to fight against the fast-tracking

I think "interoperability" is one factor holding OSS/Linux/GNU back. At some point, I'd like us to cut the apron strings and say "we are the standard". That would mean making Microsoft build the translators to interoperate. I can see MS running for a while as it's own self contained system, for companies that want to go a pure MS route. But surrounded by a lot of FLOSS they would be responsible for communicating to.