[News] Microsoft Falls Behind in Mobile Market

The Battle for Mobile Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's (MSFT) MSN Mobile was a distant third with slightly
| under a million subscribers. Google does have a lead worldwide
| thanks, in part, to deals with leading telecom companies in China,
| India, Japan, and Europe.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2007/tc20070220_828216.htm?campaign_id=yhoo
http://tinyurl.com/23fjmb

Related:

70 percent of smartphones use Symbian

,----[ Quote ]
| At 3GSM it became clear that 70 percent of all smartphones use Symbian.
|
| Linux accounts for 16.9 percent of the smartphone market and only
| 4.6 percent uses Microsoft Windows Mobile.
`----

http://www.dvhardware.net/article17134.html

Microsoft profit on slide

,----[ Quote ]
| Some analysts are looking for any signs of improvement from
| Microsoft's internet division, which continues to lose market
| share in web search to Google.
|
| Microsoft's online services group saw revenue fall for the last
| four quarters and posted a loss in the past three quarters while
| it shifted to a new internet advertising platform and overhauled
| the company's web properties.
`----

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,21109542%5E15306%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html

Microsoft Hides Its Mobile and Business Apps Divisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is folding its two worst-performing divisions -- Microsoft
| Business Solutions (its business applications unit) and its Mobile and
| Embedded units -- into the Microsoft Business Division and Microsoft Home
| and Entertainment units, respectively.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1990243,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006/12/10/linux-to-take-over-smartphone-os-market-by-2010/