[News] Linux - It's About Power (or POWER5+), Not the Numbers

IBM wants to shrink the Linux server installed base

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM says the 1.6 million stand-alone Linux servers running in enterprise
| data centers is too many. It's not Linux IBM has a thing against;
| it's the physical server hardware running the operating system.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/linux/2007/0219linux1.html

This is an intersting perspective. Linux runs on some very strong hardware
(even supercomputers) and works more efficiently than Windows servers. It's
a fact. This means that while it handles more load, the installed base (not
market share) can be affected, even underestimated. And while many servers
many crawl the Web out there, it's Google's Linux servers that are used by
most people. Consolidation and virtualisation are other factors. The
headcount says too little, especially if all PCs are just shipped with
Windows preinstalled (see below).

Related:

Russia hits out at Microsoft licensing

,----[ Quote ]
| The Russian government has hit out at Microsoft, claiming the
| software giant's overly strict and costly licensing regime is
| to blame for the high rates of consumer piracy in the country.
|
| [...]
|
| In particular he singled out Microsoft for its policy of not allowing
| partners to sell computers without copies of Windows pre-installed in
| Russia.
|
| "If you want to install Linux you have to erase Microsoft, and that
| increases the cost of each computer by $50. (With) one that already has
| Windows installed on it, and you want to use open source, you have to
| install the operating system," he said.
`----

http://news.com.com/Russia+hits+out+at+Microsoft+licensing/2100-7348_3-6160083.html

Treachery In The Trenches