[News] United Kingdom to Open an Open Source Policy Institute

UK open source policy institute to open next week

,----[ Quote ]
| The National Open Centre (NOC) holds its official launch at the Houses
| of Parliament on 26 February.
|
| The NOC said the centre will help the UK to benefit from open source
| and open standards by developing strategic analysis and policy,
| clarifying opportunities and fostering innovation.
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2007/02/19/221923/uk-open-source-policy-institute-to-open-next-week.htm

Related:

OSC joins criticism of UK education's attitude to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open Source Consortium president, Mark Taylor, has been in contact to
| voice its opinion on the controversy surrounding Becta's purchasing
| frameworks and the adoption of open source adoption in UK schools.
|
| In short, it doesn't make happy reading for Becta. "The essence of
| our concern is that they're saying one thing and actually pursuing
| policies that are exclusive," he said. "Becta's own research shows there
| are major benefits [with open source], however the reality of the
| framework is that it excludes both products and services."
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2006/11/osc_joins_criti.html

UK Government criticised for stifling open source in schools

,----[ Quote ]
| MP Pugh reckons shcools should support independent or open source
| software firms. He says, "In my experience a school is a key part
| of the community and as such has a role to play in the economy of
| that community. By supporting SMEs the local high-technology
| industry will be encouraged which will benefit everyone."

Becta under fire for procurement framework

,----[ Quote ]
| Nineteen MPs have accused a government agency of restricting the
| procurement of software in schools.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/29/becta_procurement_criticised/

MPs criticise government roadblocks to Open Source adoption in schools

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK Government's own studies have shown savings of up to 60% can be
| made by schools and colleges using Open Source software. Despite this
| clear advantage, some MPs believe the software procurement frameworks
| from Becta and official advice from DfES effectively locks out the us
| of free, Open Source software.
`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=220

Becta's schools software scheme reported to EC

,----[ Quote ]
| An advisor to Becta, the education technology quango, has complained
| to the European Commission about its procurement process for firms
| to provide online learning platforms and content to British schools.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/08/becta_ec_complaint/

Trialing the open source franchise model

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that a group of European suppliers are giving it a go, at
| least on a trial basis.
|
| The Open Forum Europe (TOF-e) has been set up to run until the end
| of May to "test the commercial viability of a framework that will
| allow for more confidence and commercial clarity of the whole
| Open Source process".
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/02/trialing_the_op.html

EU report on FLOSS: "FLOSS saves money"

European Commission denies favouring open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Commission's statement comes just days after it was lobbied to
| clarify its position on open source. The Initiative for Software
| Choice (ISC) wrote to the Commission immediately after the
| release of the report urging it to contact the "international
| press" to "set the record straight" over its stance. The ISC's
| external affairs are handled by CompTIA, which is funded by
| several IT vendors including Microsoft.
|                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
`----

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/30012007/152/european-commission-denies-favouring-open-source.html

EU official joins consultancy serving Microsoft

http://today.reuters.com/news/articleinvesting.aspx?view=CN&storyID=2006-10-03T134311Z_01_L03693228_RTRIDST_0_TECH-MICROSOFT-OFFICIAL.XML&rpc=66&type=qcna
http://tinyurl.com/h47g3

US ambassador to the EU was former Microsoft lobbyist

,----[ Quote ]
| Before C. Boyden Gray was named as George Bush's number one person in
| Europe, he was a lawyer lobbying on behalf of Microsoft.

US politicians go to bat for Microsoft

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/09/26/microsoft_eu_political_lobbying/

EU's Kroes denies vendetta against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| BRUSSELS (Reuters) - EU antitrust chief Neelie Kroes on Tuesday rejected
| an accusation she was pursuing a vendetta against U.S. software giant
| Microsoft Corp. and suspected a "coordinated campaign" to discredit
| her agency.
|
| [...]
|
|  Kroes was responding to a letter published by the newspaper from a
| Microsoft business partner who accused the EU Commission of "playing
| games" with Microsoft by raising concerns over its Vista operating
| system that could delay its launch in Europe.
|
| "There appears to be a coordinated campaign to portray the Commission
| in a negative light," she said...
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/060919/microsoft_eu.html?.v=3

Microsoft Hard-Balling EU Over Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| "This is part of the negotiating strategy," a person familiar with the
| situation told internetnews.com. "They're in a public relations battle."
|
| Microsoft made the same threat to South Korean regulators, but did not
| follow through when they lost that battle.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3631041

IDC (Microsoft-funded study) pronounces Linux unimportant to European economy

Open Source Foes In Bed With Abramoff

http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/12/2036223&from=rss

Leaked letter warns of open source 'threat to eco-system'

,----[ Quote ]
| leaked letter to the European Commission has revealed the extent of
| lobbying by proprietary software groups to prevent the widespread
| adoption of open-source software.
|
| Sent in response to a recent report on the role of open-source
| software in the European economy, Microsoft-funded pressure
| group, the Initiative for Software Choice (ISC) warned of
| potentially dire effects if too much encouragement was given
| to open source software development.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=7109

Study: open source needs official support; Lobbyist
disagrees with "flawed" conclusions

,----[ Quote ]