Re: [News] DSigner (Nintendo Wi-fi) Goes Open Source, Chooses GPL

"suckmysav" <brettg@xxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 16:31:50 -0500, amicus_curious wrote:
>
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> The source code for DSigner has been released under the General Public
>>> License
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.friendcodes.com/forums/dsigner-1-x/32916-dsigner-source.html#post268996
>>
>> How thrilling!
>>
>> "Note that the source is quite lacking in comments, this was my first
>> project in Java and im sure there are many improvements to make, if you
>> make
>> any worthwhile feel free to email me them to include in the download"
>>
>> Nothing like a first time effort Java based game.  Should put Microsoft
>> in
>> the grave once and for all.
>
> Either you demonstrate a stunning lack of understanding or you are just
> shilling for Microsoft.
>
> Nobody is suggesting that this dsigner thing is meant to be a
> Microsoft Killer App because quite clearly it is not.

Well the poster called it "[News]" and it is not news.

> What an article like this demonstrates is that Open Source is continually
> attracting new people and those new people will most likely continue to
> work within the open source community going on indefinitely.
>
> One day this guy won't be a Java n00b. He may in fact be the one who does
> eventually write that killer app.

Then it would be "[News]", but not now.

> You never know.

You don't really have to know.  It is good enough to play the averages.

> You do realise that it was hackers like this who in the eighties who
> helped MS-DOS and later Windows gain market dominance by creating all
> manner of little programs don't you?

I don't believe that is true.  Windows became dominant because very large
companies standardized on MS Office and Exchange. Didn't yours do that?These
large corporations had the IT staff that to do the product analysis that
established Microsoft and Windows as the primary value for desktop
computing.  Most of the Linux fans do not want to believe that, but it is
true.

> Isn't one of the favourite warcrys of you and the rest of the Windows
> Trolls that "wigth Windows, the world is my oyster" meaning that there are
> tons and tons of applications for Windows?

I don't say that myself.  I think that the Linux fans say that Windows fans
say that so that the Linux fans can point to the huge pile of stuff like
this one and claim that they have a match.  It is a lot like the Iraqis
claiming that their army was numerically equal to the US.  I imagine that
the Iraqis even believed that.

> Do you think that none of those applications are of a similar quality as
> this "dsigner" thing?

I imagine that you can find a lot of people creating poorly crafted Windows
programs, but it doesn't have any impact on business.