Re: [News] Another Attempt to Fix the Broken Patent System

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 19 February 2007 16:06 \__

>> Lawmakers gear up for patent system overhaul
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Daniel Ravicher, executive director of the advocacy group Public
>>| Patent Foundation, whose board members include computer industry
>>| and free software representatives, disagreed. "Software should not
>>| be patentable, and neither should business methods," he said.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-11153_22-6159962.html
>
> Well, as neither software nor business methods are patentable here, it
> would at least bring the US into line with the UK, and probably several
> other countries which have followed the UK position over the last many
> decades.  Except Australia, of course, who were doing the right thing,
> but then in the interests of "free trade" caved to US demands to permit
> software patents, and presumably business methods too, although I'm not
> sure about that.
>
> Still, at least someone in the US is taking this seriously enough to
> attempt to change the law.

With all the lobbysists and greed there, I don't believe this will be
fruitful. Look how hard the FSF had to work just to get some 'waiver' from
Blackboard, over a  /single/ 'junk patent'. The patent was not even binned.

--
                ~~ Greetings

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Data lacking semantics is currency in an island
roy      pts/4                         Mon Feb 19 12:59 - 12:59  (00:00)