Re: [News] Windows Vista Voids Warranty of "Vista Capable" Personal Computers?

On 2007-02-18, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
> __/ [ AB ] on Sunday 18 February 2007 12:50 \__
>
>> On 2007-02-18, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>>> Packard Bell: "Upgrade to Vista & lose your...

>>> http://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Topic4458-41-1.aspx
>>
>> What did the guy expect? It was a Packard-Bell.
>>
>> He should have made whatever arrangements to make sure "recovery" was
>> possible. Like not wiping the "recovery" partition. The good news is,
>> linux /should/ still work on it. Parkard-Bell quirks and all.
>>
>> I haven't touched one of their machines in 10 years. Not for reasons
>> like this, but because of no quality. That is why I'm given pause when
>> I see "nice Vista laptop" and then discover he's talking about one from
>> this company. The two statements together do not compute.
>>
>> I'd have 'em in court, though. Small claims if nothing else. Unless
>> somewhere in the included documentation it says his warranty will be
>> voided.
>
> I had a computer from them when I was about 11. It had many hardware problems
> and was a really bad buy. It didn't last for many years. Eventually I sold
> to a friend's brother. I still have its 14 inch monitor. It's in my
> apartment and it's quite faulty. It was still usable a few years ago and it
> still has sentimental value.

I worked as a sideline on upgrading and repairing PCs for people (most
of my work ended up as fixing Winders, which is one of the biggest
reasons I dropped it as a sideline). I had trouble with a lot of
different machines, but none of them approached the problems I had with
Packard-Bell.

I reached a point where I asked people what type of machine they had
before I made any commitments to costs. Packard-Bells were higher just
to look. And they usually came with no guarantee of it being repaired.
The purpose wasn't to gouge. It was to discourage them from using my
services.

Upgrades were another matter. I could add or change things easily
enough. But there was no guarantee the hardware would continue working
after several reboots. And God help you if you had to do a reinstall
using their discs after changing something.

--
"Windows XP performance", on the next "In Search Of".