[News] An Unflattering Secret About Last Patch Tuesday

Microsoft patches include a surprise

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a little surprise buried in Microsoft's monthly security
| bulletins Tuesday. It turns out that Microsoft had quietly slipped
| out one of the February fixes, just days before its Jan. 30
| Vista launch.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/021507-microsoft-patches-include-a.html

Related:

New Fronts in Microsoft Security Battle

,----[ Quote ]
| "Patch Tuesday," when Microsoft Corp. releases repairs for problems in its
| software, came and went this week with six critical fixes -- including the
| first one that touches Vista, the new operating system billed as the most
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| secure Windows version yet.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070214/microsoft_security.html?.v=2

Broken patches as well...

"First, as some of you have already noticed, the wsusscan.cab files were a
bit delayed in getting released. They can't be created until all of the
content on the live MU site has been fully replicated (this ensures that the
content in the cab files fully matches what is live on MU) and we had a
slight delay in that process today, so the cab files weren't live until
about 1:55pm PST.

Second, I wanted to call your attention to a minor issue around detection
with today?s updates. Specifically, there's a minor issue around detection
and MS07-009. Windows 2000 SP4 customers who have applied this security
update and then perform a scan using MBSA, SMS2003 with the ITMU, or WSUS
will get a report back erroneously saying that all languages were applied
rather than just the language versions that were applied.

When this happens, the correct update has been applied and the protections
are in place: it's an issue around detection reporting only and we are
working to address this issue."

http://www.oclc.org/support/systemalerts/default.asp

"Alert Topic:   Connexion client record display affected by Window
Alert Status:   Condition reported
Affected Services:      Connexion client
Alert Created:  02/14/2007 9:39:32 AM ET
Last Updated:   02/14/2007 3:10:49 PM ET
individual record display
in Connexion client 1.60 and 1.70. Search and browse listings will display
correctly,
but individually-selected records will not display. This problem affects both
records
retrieved via online searching/browsing and records from the local
bibliographic save
file.
Additional
Notes:       The Windows update that created this problem is identified
as KB918118. When that update
is uninstalled the problem disappears. This action may not be desirable since
the update
was developed by Microsoft to address a security vulnerability. Additionally,
when an
update is uninstalled Microsoft will attempt to reinstall it at a later date.

OCLC is in the process of creating a patch that will allow the update to
remain
installed. Please check this system alert for status."