Re: Microsoft Chickened Out in Iowa Case

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:00:33 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Friday 16 February 2007 13:39 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> From: anonymous
>>> After following the last link I have below, I speculate but it appears
>>> that
>>> Microsoft wanted to settle quickly.  They have information that Microsoft
>>> violated US Dept. of Justice 2002 ruling.  If I have an article listed
>>> below that you have not done yet, you are free to use:
>>>
>http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9011285&intsrc=hm_list
>>> or http://tinyurl.com/ysj3ky
>>
>> Keep in mind that during the DOJ vs Microsoft case, the prosecution
>> did more for their case during their cross-examination of defense
>> witnesses, than they did during their presentation of the direct
>> evidence.  Furthermore, there were clear indications that differences
>> between the Windows 2000 licenses and the Windows XP licenses were
>> designed to exclude Linux from the marketplace, and to force users to
>> buy Windows licenses they didn't need.   New provisions in the Vista
>> licenses are designed to force Linux users to pay for upgrades that
>> they don't need.  And the increase in prices, at both OEM and Retail
>> level, for Vista could have been used to increase the damages even
>> more.  Most importantly, if Iowa had gone to Judge Kollar-Kotelly and
>> presented their case, it's possible that the contempt of court during
>> the period that all of the provisions of the settlement were in force,
>> could have prompted the judge to extend all of the provisions of the
>> original settlement for another 5-7 years.
>>
>> Many states are already passing "open IT" laws designed to force state
>> agencies, state funds recipients, and tax exempt organizations to
>> consider Open Source alternatives first.  Purchases of Microsoft
>> products in particular, and proprietary products in general must go
>> through a much more expensive review process.  Unfortunately, it's
>> hard to target Microsoft specifically.
>>
>> When AT&T established it's monopoly over telephones, the government
>> passed laws to regulate the telephone companies.  The same thing
>> happened with Electricity and electric companies.
>>
>> My guess is that the real reason Microsoft let this case drag on as
>> long as they did was to make sure that the settlement included Vista.
>> If Iowa doesn't demand that Microsoft reduce the price of Vista, then
>> they can't come back later and complain that they were overcharged.
>>
>> The one thing I have noticed since the settlement was announced, is
>> that the original links to all of those PDF files of e-mails and
>> letters has been password protected.  It seems that what was
>> previously public domain information, is now being restricted by the
>> settlement.  Of course, anyone who downloaded those documents to their
>> hard drives while the documents were in public domain, can publish
>> those documents whenever they feel like it.  My guess is that lots of
> [...]

Keep doing a great job of spreading this stuff around where it
belongs. People are discovering alot of severely needed truth.

I'm new here and this is a breath of fresh air.  It amazes me the guys
who glibly and idiotically explain away the crimes and ignorance of
MS.

Man, what a bunch of wanking boot licking puppets with cheap little
junk MS choke chains dangling from their necks.  Makes me crazy.

At least MS staff have a place to go. US gov is hiring all the time.