Re: 21,459 Microsoft IIS based websites hacked

  • Subject: Re: 21,459 Microsoft IIS based websites hacked
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 17:59:55 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Friday 16 February 2007 17:33 \__

> On Feb 15, 12:37 pm, "Guy Fawkes" <spare_the_...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> http://www.zone-h.org/component/option,com_oldstuff/Itemid,31/task,ne...
>
> The article is inaccurate.  It claims that this was the biggest
> hacking incident in web-hosting history.  That would be incorrect.
> This virus only attacked 21,459 sites.
>
> The NIMDA (admin spelled backward) site infected almost 40 percent of
> the IIS sites, in particular all sites using Microsoft's WebDAV for
> updates.  Nimda was extremely virulent, spreading through ActiveX
> controls on both clients and servers.  Nimda attacked IIS servers from
> early 2000 into 2002.  Many companies began shifting their sites to
> Apache and enhanced Apache (IHS or SunONE), over those years.
>
> The most successful virus against Linux was the Lion virus, which
> infected a total of 8,000 sites in 1996, most of which were
> [mis-]managed by the same few companies, who had not even bothered to
> set decent root passwords.  They left default accounts and default
> passwords on the system.  Since then, Linux has grown substantially.
> Apache now powers over 63 million servers, and there hasn't been a
> significant successful hack in almost 10 years.
>
>> Figures...
>>
>> Please use Linux.
>
> These days, Windows servers are mostly used for the home pages, as
> "splash screens", and for hosting "inactive" domains.  Usually domains
> which are available for sale by someone who bought 20,000 of them for
> $5 each and wants to sell the .biz, .tv, and other secondary domains
> at $100 each, which is how they pay for the licenses on their Windows
> servers (IIS is free, but the registration software still has "per
> user" charges).
> See also http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html

Microsoft is still /tweaking/ Netcraft statistics. While they are not masters
of technical arts and merits, they sure know how to buy their marketing
pitch (see bottom).

Here are some recent stories and references.

Canadian nuclear safety site defaced by hacker

,----[ Quote ]
| The Citizen--which published a color photograph of one of the
| tampered pages--said the hacker had left a message saying "Please
| dont (sic) put me in jail...oops, I divided by zero."
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6157647.html
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca

Recently compromised Windows-based Web sites:

Malicious Website: Super Bowl XLI / Dolphin Stadium

,----[ Quote ]
| Websense Security Labs has discovered that the official website
| of Dolphin Stadium has been compromised with malicious code. The
| Dolphin Stadium is currently experiencing a large number of visitors,
| as it is the home of Sunday's Super Bowl XLI. The site is linked
| from numerous official Super Bowl websites and various Super
| Bowl-related search terms return links to the site.
`----

http://www.websense.com/securitylabs/alerts/alert.php?AlertID=733

MSN.co.uk money related websites hacked and defaced

,----[ Quote ]
| Two websites belonging to MSN (Microsoft Network) in the United
| Kingdom, were defaced today by an attacker who goes by the nickname
| "DARK LORD".
`----

http://www.ddosed.com/2007/02/01/msn-uk-money-related-websites-hacked-and-defaced/

Nokia's Windows-based Site Gets Cracked

Screenshot:

http://monarkstudios.ca/hacked.JPG
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://nokia.ca

Hackers attack Gorbachev's [Windows-based] Web site

,----[ Quote ]
| The perpetrators posted photographs of the suppressed rally on the
| Web site and published an open letter to the former leader, blaming
| him for the deaths of more 130 people -- a tragedy known in Azerbaijan
| as the Black January.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070120/ap_on_hi_te/russia_gorbachev

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.mikhailgorbachev.org
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.gorby.ru

Samsung site hijacked as malware host

,----[ Quote ]
| The U.S. corporate website of Samsung Telecom has been hijacked and
| used to host and distribute malware, security vendor Websense has
| revealed.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=709669709&rid=-50
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=SamsungTelecom.com

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

http://blogs.zdnet.com/threatchaos/?p=311

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is better at locking down a computer than Windows. The Linux OS
| uses configuration settings and user permissions to a much more
| efficient degree than the Windows administrator account. To do
| this, non-enterprise users should seek help from third-party
| security suites that serve as configuration managers, James
| Bottomley, chief technology officer of SteelEye Technology said.

Security Report: Windows vs Linux

,----[Executive summary ]
| Finally, we also include a brief overview of relevant conceptual
| differences between Windows and Linux, to offer an insight into why
| Windows tends to be more vulnerable to attacks at both server and desktop,
| and why Linux is inherently more secure
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| You can think of Windows XP as a house with a second floor built of
| spackle, wood filler and duct tape.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR2006092300510.html?nav=rss_technology

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

December 2006 Security Space Survey Results

,----[ Quote ]
| Security Space estimates that nearly 90 percent of all Web sites
| are "orphans" to which no other sites link. Its Web server survey
|     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| therefore counts only those servers referenced on other sites.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/stats/article.php/3652421

Apache at 73%+.

Open Source Fights Back

,----[ Quote ]

`----

                        http://www.itbusinessedge.com/item/?ci=15108

--
                ~~ Greetings

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Software sucks. Open Source sucks less."
Tasks: 124 total,   2 running, 119 sleeping,   0 stopped,   3 zombie