Re: Well, MS security: The big joke

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 15 February 2007 16:39 \__

http://theinvisiblethings.blogspot.com/2007/02/vista-security-model-big-joke.html

> Ick.  Win95 (Yes, let's magically get rid of DOS by hiding it!)
> all over again.
>
> But never mind that...how many copies should I go buy for
> my Linux desktops?  After all, Vista is such a modern
> operating system.
>
> Especially since it comes with:
>
> - a compiler
> - a spreadsheet
> - a word processor
> - a web browser
> - a graphical drawing package
> - remote security administration tools
> - FTP, HTTP, and SSH servers
> - remoteable display capability
> - and lots more
>
> Yes, Vista is such a modern OS that...what was that?
> It *doesn't* come with all of the above?  Oh dear.
>
> Never mind.

Check out some of the Web sites which aggreagate costs to show you to price
of a /complete/ Windows-bsed  workstation/production system. A $1000 PC with
Vista Basic is far from sufficient unless you just surf the Web and read
E-mail (increasingly the majority, as PCs reach more homes). That said, such
system never inspires the curious users to take graphical applications for a
ride... or do some development... or build a GUI. A Linux system with all
the unknown applications that come preinstalled has got an educational
value. It begs the users to learn new stuff... and use programs that the
users never even knew about. SuSE 8.1, for example, is how I discovered
POVRay.

--
                ~~ Greetings

Unisys: open source software set to have a similar impact as the Internet
Swap:  1036184k total,   414684k used,   621500k free,   104480k cached