[News] Microsoft Starts Crackdown on Piracy, Could Drive People to Linux

Microsoft starts Operation Fair Play

,----[ Quote ]
| Software firm Microsoft has introduced a programme dubbed Operation
| Fair Play which is aimed at kicking pirates in the goolies.

New copyright police to increase raids and seizures in UK

,----[ Quote ]
| "Crimelords currently earn fortunes peddling fake goods, bootleg
| CDs and DVDs through car boot sales and other outlets," Trading
| Standards Institute chief executive Ron Gainsford said. "People
| should realise that the proceeds from the sale of these goods
| are used to finance a whole range of criminal activities."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/13/more_copyright_police/

They are sqeezing the goose for that golden egg. Maybe we'll be hearing about
many more people switching to Linux. Or maybe we won't because Microsoft
owns much of the media and OEMs are virtually forced to preinstall Windows
(for 'market share' vanity).

Related:

Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft says that the incident has nothing to do with them, but it
| appears that Russian schools in the area are so scared about being shipped
| off to a Siberian Gulag, that they are buying Linux gear instead.
|
| [..]
|
| According to Karpushin, schools would start using freely distributed
| software like the Linux OS, Russky office and Open office desktop apps,
| Ekho Moskvi reports.

Why Piracy Hurts Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "...John looks at this from a different direction. He shows you why
| software piracy hurts Open Source software--the free stuff you are using."
`----

http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000266

Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Now comes the really interesting question. With Vista's activation
| technology, Microsoft has the power to stamp out piracy everywhere. But
| will it choose to do so everywhere? After all, if folks in China or
| Thailand or Ethiopia have to pay for Vista, they won't be able to run
| it because they won't be able to afford the licence fee. In which case
| they may finally wake up to the attractions of free software such as
| Linux - and it's easy to imagine what that will do to Microsoft's
| plans for world domination.
|
| It's a delicious prospect: Microsoft impaling itself on the horns
| of a dilemma it has created for itself. Roll on Thursday.
`----

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html

How Piracy Opens Doors for Windows

,----[ Article's summary ]
| Bill Gates may not be entirely dismayed by software thieves. They
| seed the world market and make Microsoft a standard.
`----

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-micropiracy9apr09,0,414067.story?track=tottext

Why piracy kills Open Source

,----[ Quote ]