Re: [News] Enterprise Not Interested in Vista, MSFT Continues Decline

  • Subject: Re: [News] Enterprise Not Interested in Vista, MSFT Continues Decline
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 07:39:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 13 February 2007 10:17 \__

>> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Sunday 11 February 2007 08:20 \__
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Well, okay, but he's not particularly knowledgeage about economics,
>>> either.
>>
>> Which is why he works in a no-name college, just like Erik (who apparently
>> left or got sacked some time ago).
>>

> Really?  I hadn't realised that.  Talking about economics, today's FT
> has a long piece about why DRM is bad written by John Gapper, on page 19,
> so in the first section called "Why digital music should be set free" ;
> *and* there's a Leader article in The Economist in the 10th-16th February
> issue, called "Music wants to be free", on Page 14.
>
> Both pieces have been catalysed by the Steve Jobs essay, but even so,
> take a good economically-sane view of DRM.  It is noted in the FT piece
> that iPods typically have < 1.5% of DRMed music on them anyway, so it
> would appear that most people are buying CDs and ripping them, as per
> the advice from Bill Gates.

There was an academic study about DRM.

The Effect of File Sharing on Record Sales: An Empirical Analysis

,----[ Quote ]
| Our estimates are inconsistent with claims that file sharing is the
| primary reason for the decline in music sales during our study period.
`----

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/journal/issues/v115n1/31618/brief/31618.abstract.html?erFrom=-2768404614279062069Guest
http://tinyurl.com/24hehz

Viewing the full paper isn't free (as in free beer, but probably not as in
free speech either, e.g. Creative Commons with derivation permitted).

--
                ~~ Happy Valentine's Day

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Yes, I know, but does it run Linux?"
roy      pts/4                         Wed Feb 14 03:19 - 03:19  (00:00)