Re: [News] Is the Linux Accounting Software Problem Solved?

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Open source accounting sees new symbol
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Lack of a business-grade accounting system tailored for Australia's
> | onerous taxation system has long kept even the most die-hard
> | Linux fans tied to Windows, but all that is set to change with
> | the open source SYMBOL Accounting.
> |
> | The brainchild of Perth accountant Edward Metcalfe, Surf Your Money
> | Books Online, or SYMBOL, is a Web-based accounting and payroll
> | system developed on the Linux, Apache, PostgreSQL, and Perl
> | (LAPP) platform.
> `----
>
> http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1504289875
>
> There are other such programs. All the large ones appear to be Web-based,
> which is good news for mixed environments. Meanwhile, Microsoft starts a
> verbal battle (Bill Hilf) against IBM's latest offering, which brings
> Linux to the enterprise desktops

I was going to say something in the lines of 'What a load of tosh, there are
a lot of UNIX based company accounts, wages software and factory control
packages, any of those based on unidata can fairly easily be personalised
to the company', and other such things, until I searched for examples.

The search you might do for such packages over here, if you add Australia to
the search string, the results are not particularly good. There doesn't
seem to be any of what we would call the big names on the list. (Those I
found might be big over there, I don't mean to put down those few that I
did find).

So there is an opening for for a dbase software house, get a good unidata
based package out there and you are guarenteed an audience.