Re: Ballmer: customers say please help us Microsoft ..

  • Subject: Re: Ballmer: customers say please help us Microsoft ..
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 09:54:29 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Paul Hovnanian P.E. ] on Tuesday 13 February 2007 04:28 \__

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/108806.asp?source=rss

> There are two possibilities:
>
>> It would be nice if they would actually CITE who was telling them all of
>> this.
>>
>> If companies would come out of the woodwork to say:
>> <hypothetical>
>> Hey, look - this is where we are with Linux and we don't like the
>> uncertainty of IP issues coming back to haunt us
>
> That's an acknowlegement that they might be in a shaky position, license
> wise. So they aren't going to come out and admit anything. Microsoft
> hasn't pointed out exactly what IP they might be baiting traps with, so
> users have no idea where they stand.
>
>> - so we, as a corporate
>> entity, went directly to MS and said, "We don't want to get sued, so
>> here's what we're proposing as a solution - can you come up with
>> something better?"
>> </hypothetical>
>>
>> So far, anything they say is complete bullshit.
>
> The other possibility is that the users are telling Microsoft, "Look.
> We'd like to operate a heterogeneous environment, with Samba and
> alternatives to Exchange servers. But we're ready to throw out Outlook
> and all this proprietary crap and take the plunge".
>
> Do you think Microsoft is going to advertise when a user like Boeing,
> for example, has told them, "Look. We've had about enough of your crap.
> Clean up your act or we're out of here."
>
>> --
>> Brought to you by the letters 'O,' 'S,' and by the number '2.'
>>
>> My C=64 owns you, BOY!

It's all about creating a scare. Fear drives people and lies can create a
scare.

See the following:

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/02/microsoft_bully.html#comments

"This Q&A raises an important point, in Jeremy's suspicion and nervousness
about the reality. I saw a joint MS and Novell presentation today in San
Francisco. I think the MS guys (and the Novell guys via association now)
have the old EST (Erhard Seminar Training; aka cult) mindset and plan,
around this IP thing. One element of the EST mindset says "If you say it
enough times, it will become true". MS and Novell keep saying "all our
customers were asking us for it", and "customers overwhelmingly approve of
it"; but "it" is muddled between customers wanting more "interoperability"
(which I would assume would be 99%+), and customers wanting "IP protection",
which is the "manufactured" topic. When I say manufactured, I mean I know MS
has lots of patents, and so it has lots of IP. It is the way they are trying
to "condition the market" (MS term) that this is all natural, and okay with
the universe, that scares me about the future of all software developers
(open source or proprietary). I don't think every software developer wants
to walk around with a MS "hand on their head" (paying a patent tax, and
likely not being allowed to develop in certain areas, like the "cash cow"
ones going forward). But be warned, that is the true intention, of MS, and
Novell is a pawn in the game. I expect MS to go overboard trying to help
Novell, since they need to try and prove to the world that they are "not as
bad as everyone says/knows". But beware, beware, beware."

--
                ~~ Happy Valentine's Day (Mañana)

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Partition if an operating $ysteM must be set aside
roy      pts/4                         Mon Feb 12 22:22 - 22:23  (00:01)