Re: Microsoft Still Has Indonesia's Government in Its Pocket

__/ [ peterwn ] on Monday 12 February 2007 19:32 \__

> On Feb 13, 1:37 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> IGOS, MS, or both: let's debate it
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The government is at best merely being pragmatic with the deal --
>> | realizing the widespread use of pirated software products in
>> | government institutions -- and is therefore trying to correct this.
>> |
>> | It is a decision that has, however, weathered criticism for
>> | likely giving Microsoft's proprietary software products an unfair
>> | advantage for use in publicly funded government services, and
>> | sidelining the use of free/libre and open-source software (FLOSS),
>> | which the government has actually been encouraging through its
>> | Indonesia Goes Open Source (IGOS) program.
>> |

> Microsoft executives and the military dictators who run Indonesia
> would have much in common and hence would have little difficulty with
> relating with each other.

It's easier to cope with supressive companies in countries that embrace
freedom. To be fair, France has been in good form recently. I don't have
high hopes when I look at north America. *frown* It's not just about the
local market, but also dealing with ill conduct that affects other countries
and promotes anti-American/capitalism (pushed to extremity) sentiments,

--
                ~~ Happy Valentine's Day (Mañana)

Roy S. Schestowitz      | < http://debian.org >
Tasks: 134 total,   2 running, 128 sleeping,   0 stopped,   4 zombie