Re: [News] HD-DVD DRM Cracked

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=121866&page=6&safe=active
> http://tinyurl.com/353fyd

Woot!

One step closer to HD/BD on MPlayer.

Hmmm, I wonder how long it would take to transcode a BD film to H.264
for my iPod?

According to the FAQ on blu-ray.com:

.----
|  1.6
| How much video can you fit on a Blu-ray disc?
|
| Over 9 hours of high-definition (HD) video on a 50GB disc.
| About 23 hours of standard-definition (SD) video on a 50GB disc.
`----

So that works out at about 8 -> 10 GB per average length film, which
seems a bit low since many *DVD* titles occupy about 8GB on a DVD-9
disc. So allowing for a DTS audio stream, and a much higher video
bitrate (and of course resolution), I'd say that a BD film could be
more like 20->30 GB without extras.

I suppose that just means 2x -> 3x the transcoding time then.

Forget Vista, now I have a *real* reason to upgrade my hardware.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
| Layer' when they go through our landfill sites" - Sian Berry, the
| Green Party.
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6
 22:42:36 up 86 days, 15:04,  4 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00