[News] Linux Growth in Romania -- Open Source Observatory

A Brief Overview -- Open Source Software in Romania

,----[ Quote ]
| Romania is developing its own Linux distributions. One of the biggest
| is Darkstar Linux, based on Slackware. Furthermore, the open source
| community is translating free software projects into Romanian, e.g.
| KDE or GNOME. The Romanian Linux User Group (RLUG) translates and
| improves the Debian documentation.
|
| Like many other European countries, Romania has caught a glimpse of
| what Linux and other open source software can do for business or
| private use. Romanian user hope the government will realise one
| day that instead of wasting money on proprietary products, it can
| not only improve the functionality of institutions but also use
| open source software as a way to direct those funds to other more
| important issues.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/5016/470

Related:

Romania: Software piracy made us what we are today

,----[ Quote ]
| Experts have called for stronger action from Romanian officials on
| software piracy, with prosecutors encouraged to stop dismissing
| potential cases. The International Intellectual Property Alliance
| in 2006 said dismissals are acting as a disincentive on police to
| clamp down on criminals, who are mostly end-users and distributors.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/02/02/romania_microsoft_piracy/

Why Piracy Hurts Open Source
http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000266

Microsoft seals its Windows and opens the door to Linux
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1956941,00.html

How Piracy Opens Doors for Windows
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-micropiracy9apr09,0,414067.story?track=tottext

Beware: Half of Pirated Vista Is Malware
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/003622.html

Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

,----[ Quote ]