Re: More on Vista pricing in UK

  • Subject: Re: More on Vista pricing in UK
  • From: Paul Bramscher <pfbram_nospam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 18:50:45 -0600
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
socrates.vicente@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi there. I'm a Portuguese citizen and have been also concerned with
this issue. Here in Portugal the Vista Ultimate Full Version is even
more expensive than anywhere reaching the unbelievable price of 669,99
euros!!! THIS IS A RIP OFF!

I've written a post in my blog which has only been published a few
days ago because I was waiting to a response from my countrie's
Microsoft branch, but it never came where I also expose this issue ->
http://www.digg.com/software/Microsoft_does_not_like_Europeans

Now Portuguese GDP is far lower than British or USA, so I don't know
what kind of study they have made but we here are really paying a lot
more (though taxes applied are 21%, this does not account for the huge
price difference between USA - Europe that Vista's several distros are
getting. This is even more outrageous when the GBP and the EUR are
higher than the USD!

We have all to take a stand to stop these stupid price policies that
always make Europeans pay more!

Kind Regards,

Clint McCarthy

Response Management Team UK

Microsoft Ltd

Can anyone tell me WHAT, precisely, has GDP per capita got to do with
product pricing? I have NEVER, when employed as a Group Management
Accountant, been in ANY organisation that factors in GDP as part of it's
pricing structure.

SNAKEOIL!

I hear you -- I live in the American Midwest and find Vista/Office too expensive myself. I can't decide whether Microsoft has priced Vista beyond my means, or whether the entire economy has raised the bar of "middle-class" beyond my means. But in any case, Microsoft has lost touch with reality -- and has produced an operating system for people in the same class as the managers that probably directed the project: $250,000-500,000 salary/year minimum. They genuinely don't get it. As people's real earning power and personal savings are shrinking, they actually *raise* the cost of their products and services.

The beauty is that the shareholders will eventually get it, as consumers vote with their pocketbooks.

I can't say I'm going to buy a Mac -- why would I buy a semi-closed version of what I get for free, and lock myself into proprietary hardware?

But I am beginning to wonder whether this might be a good time to buy Apple stock.