Re: Computer Are Not Usable, Thanks to Linux

__/ [ Ewok ] on Wednesday 10 January 2007 13:52 \__

> Aunty Diluvian wrote:
>> Despite what the Linuxers, OSS zealots would
>> have you believe, Linux is a piece of junk, put
>> together by a bunch of liars and thieves, in an
>> attempt to get something for free.  Free, as in
>> doesn't cost anything and equally worthless.
>> This gives them the final option, after all of
>> the other excuses have worn out, to say,
>> "OK, it doesn't work but it was free".
>>

> At my computer I can watch a DVD within 1 second from putting the disc
> in the drive. I'm not saying that I get to the menus within 1 second.
> I'm saying that I'm getting to see the movie within 1 second. Those
> using Windows has to wait for the menu to load, click on the right
> buttons and wait some more.
>
> When a friend of mine had to right click on every single image from
> another friends home page to download them, I just wrote a script that
> did that automagically. It took him over an hour, it took me less than
> 5 minutes.
>
> I could tell alot more stories about how much easier I find Linux, but
> the point is. Linux works and darn good.
>
>> If, as the Linux crew believes, that Bill Gates
>> and Microsoft are worthless then Linus Torvaldes
>> and Linux are far beneath worthless to the
>> degree that they are not even worth consideration
>> except to the poor, downtrodden, slum area folks
>> that can't afford food much less a computer or
>> the electricity to run it.
>>

> Recently my computer crashed. Not software, but hardware crash. When I
> had gotten the new hardware I turned on the computer. The Linux
> harddrive booted fine. It couldn't start X, since it was a new graphics
> accelerator. However it was just installing a new driver and setting up
> the X-server and the computer was fine and dandy.
>
> However the Windows harddrive was differently. It worked fine. I could
> read all the files from my Linux drive. But Windows wouldn't boot. It
> didn't recognize any hardware. I had to reinstall Windows on that
> drive. So far I haven't been able to install my graphics accelerator
> under Windows, so I'm forced to work under the conditions of 640x480
> when in Windows. I also cannot access one of the Windows partions from
> Windows. I can easilly access that same partition from Linux. I have
> neither been able to install the burning program on Windows either. It
> works fine and dandy on my Linux system.
>
> There are still alot of things not working correctly under Windows, but
> on Linux I only have one problem and that is with one application. I
> did not choose Linux because of lack of money. I had to choose Linux
> cause Windows was a complete failure.
>
>> Linux? Bullshit. Given a choice of Linux or nothing,
>> I'd happily chose nothing.
>
> I had that exact choice, I chose Linux.
>
> Your friendly neighbourhood Ewok

Hey, Ewok. Yes, there were some discussions about it here in the past. It
goes about a year back, IIRC.

Windows is not able to cope with hardware changes whereas Linux handles it
without a cough. This particular trait of the O/S resebles and related to
its existence in Open Source form rather than precompiled blobs that are
thrown onto a harddrive with a very particular system architecture (usually
32-bit x86). Linux not only supports far more hardware, but it's also able
to cope with it, with minimal effort. Just look at Windows Vista as it
struggles to get 64-bit drivers and applications (e.g. Flash), which still
renders it obsolete.

The cost of an operating system is negligible for those of us whose work is
dependent on computing. We are encouraged or forced to use the best tool for
the job on order to maximise out efficiently. I happen to have some
colleague who still use Windows and occasionally they go 'out of
commission', so to speak, due to software-related system failures. This
leads to involvement of the IT staff (more money and labour is involved) and
leads to them losing days of work. Speaking of which, a colleague's PC
caught smoke a couple of days ago. Smelly stuff; gave me a headache. I
wouldn't blame Windows though. Not even Sony...

--
                        ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI"
Tasks: 134 total,   1 running, 131 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie