Re: [News] New Linux-based iPod Challenger with Wi-Fi?

__/ [ Roy Schestowitz ] on Tuesday 09 January 2007 20:04 \__

> Rumour: CES: New Linux-based Wireless MP3 Player
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Tegic's new open software application framework, codenamed
> | SmartScreens, enables businesses in the mobile device and
> | content industry to deliver compelling consumer solutions
> | for a broad range of wirelessly connected devices.
> `----
>
> http://www.smartscreensmobile.com/
>
> Very few details available at this stage, but it has just been
> unveiled at CES.
>
> See:
>
> http://www.smartscreensmobile.com/media-solution.php
>
> Calacanis worked in AOL (apparently behind this particular project) and had
> this to say/offer...
>
> Will Calacanis build a better iPod?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | "As Dave points out any hint of DRM and the project is over. We
> | don't need any VC money to do this Dave. We just produce the best
> | player and make 1,000 of them--all presold. The money comes to us
> | first and we don't have to put up ANY money. After we get 1,000
> | made we do version 2 six months later and produce 10,000 of them.
> | If that sells out we do 100,000. We are not doing this for the
> | money anyway... if it becomes a 10,000 device a year company and
> | we break even I'm fine with that--I just want a better player!"
> |
> | A DRM-less player, wi-fi enabled and open-source style hackable
> | could be the Zune everyone wanted and Microsoft failed to
> | deliver. It remains to be seen (and frankly, isn't very likely)
> | whether Calacanis will push forward with his new ideas but, the
> | fact is he's gotten people talking about the future of portable
> | entertainment and that alone is a productive exchange.
> `----

http://www.digitalmusic.weblogsinc.com/2006/12/01/will-calacanis-build-a-better-ipod/

Update:

More details emerge...

AOL preps Linux-based PMP

"AOL is showcasing a Linux-based hard drive-equipped portable media player
(PMP) manufactured by Haier, at CES this week. The Smartscreens Media Device
packs a 30GB drive, plays MPEG4 and WMV videos over wired or Bluetooth
wireless headphones, and can also receive Internet radio stations via WiFi."